Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Slight change in plans...

Slight change in plans...

Slight change in plans…

I picked up a 15’ X 4’ round aboveground pool this weekend. I’m planning to convert it to a grow-out pond after the summer. With over 5,300 gallons of swim area, I think it should do nicely. I plan to retrofit it with a 45mm EPDM pond liner before changing it over to accommodate fish. Filtration will be provided using a 440-gallon DIY filtration setup consisting of eight 55-gallon plastic barrels. To save money, I’m leaning towards using lavarock as media for bio-filtration. I can get as much lavarock as I want for free only 40 miles from home. All I have to do is load it in the truck and haul it away. Mechanical filtration will be provided by a DIY vortex and multiple layers of swamp cooler pads. At this point I don’t have any plans to add a UV clarifier, but I will definitely add a shade screen to guard against predators and to prevent algae blooms. My original plan to build a 10' X 10' X 4' above ground pond is officially scrapped - way TOO expensive! Expect photos and detailed plans to be posted in the Pond Construction section of my website very soon…
    Three ponds, too many Koi, and one very angry wife...

Thumbs up Sounds good

All our Koi are currently residing in an 18'x4' above ground pool while we finish the expansion of our pond and they are loving it . In fact the only issue we've had is fading Sumi on a few due to the pale blue interior of the pool. Your switch to EPDM should take care of that issue nicely.
    We're getting by with much less filtration, but not feeding as heavily as you will be in a growout setting. The pool pump is being used with a skimmer for one Mat/LR filter while a sumbersible in the center feeds another. The water is maintaining exceptionally with very minimal water change needed.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Larry;

Just out of curiosity, how many koi do you currently have residing in your above-ground pool?

Quote Originally Posted by JosephandGabby
    Slight change in plans…

I picked up a 15’ X 4’ round aboveground pool this weekend. I’m planning to convert it to a grow-out pond after the summer. With over 5,300 gallons of swim area, I think it should do nicely. I plan to retrofit it with a 45mm EPDM pond liner before changing it over to accommodate fish. Filtration will be provided using a 440-gallon DIY filtration setup consisting of eight 55-gallon plastic barrels. To save money, I’m leaning towards using lavarock as media for bio-filtration. I can get as much lavarock as I want for free only 40 miles from home. All I have to do is load it in the truck and haul it away. Mechanical filtration will be provided by a DIY vortex and multiple layers of swamp cooler pads. At this point I don’t have any plans to add a UV clarifier, but I will definitely add a shade screen to guard against predators and to prevent algae blooms. My original plan to build a 10' X 10' X 4' above ground pond is officially scrapped - way TOO expensive! Expect photos and detailed plans to be posted in the Pond Construction section of my website very soon…
    Joe

Your filtration is a concern. Using lava rock exclusively for bio isn't the best idea in the world. Remember, you get what you pay for - also, using "swamp cooler" matting - make sure it's safe for fish - most are made of different types of material which contain hazardous chemicals in their make-up. My recommendation would be using Japanese mat or Matala mat - the Matala could be used for both - black/green for mechanical and blue/grey for bio. The stuff is very easy to custom cut and holds up forever. It's also very easy to clean - simply shake it up and down in the filter, then remove the water. This media will actually give you much more square feet of surface area for bio-filtration than lava rock will.

Mike