Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Aluminum Question

Fry

Aluminum Question

I have a heavy guage aluminum box that i want to use as a catch basin for a porus media shower, are there any inherent problems with using aluminum in a pond filtration system? Does it need to be coated? and what would be an easy choice for a coating if one needs to be applied?

Thx in advance

ED

Fry
    Fifty people have looked at this and no one has any comments? come on people your letting me down.

ED

Honmei
    Aluminum will pose no direct hazard to your Koi, but aluminum can and will corrode over time. Coating it would make it last longer.

Sansai

aluminum

Not that I am a big believer in salt in the water there are times when this can be benificial. Salt contact with the bare aluminum would accelerate the corrosion since there is a chemical reaction between the two.

One product that is being used often to seal concrete ponds is Sani-tred. While not knowing about it's specific ability to seal to aluminum, you could call the company and ask. It seems to adhere to many different surfaces so can't see why it wouldn't work: http://www.sanitred.com/WaterFountain.htm

Rick

sanitred sounds very good and it comes with lifetime warranty but it's expensive though. hopefully someone already used it and share his experience with the group.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Clay
    Not that I am a big believer in salt in the water there are times when this can be benificial. Salt contact with the bare aluminum would accelerate the corrosion since there is a chemical reaction between the two.

One product that is being used often to seal concrete ponds is Sani-tred. While not knowing about it's specific ability to seal to aluminum, you could call the company and ask. It seems to adhere to many different surfaces so can't see why it wouldn't work: http://www.sanitred.com/WaterFountain.htm

Rick

Sansai
    You could always line the container with EPDM or scrap liner material. If you use some liner tape you could make it look nice as an inexpensive option.

Rick