Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Above ground concrete pond..advice needed!!!

Thanks greg. will definitely make sure it holds. I just decided not to build so high. I have no experience building a concrete wall, so I figure lower is still safer. I will just dig deeper instead, so I still have the total volume I am looking for. Your project looks like it came out excellent. Hope mine does!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nguyen View Post
    since your pond will be a lot bigger than this one. there will be much more pressure of water load. not sure if similar setup with no mortar will hold up.
    also, from the pix, looks like solid blocks were used. it has more weights density so it hold up more than the hollow 16x8x8 cinder blocks. I assume you are using cinder blocks. anyhow, if I was you, I would use mortar to keep them together.

Steve
    Uhhh...it didn't hold!!! Only 2 blocks high. Had a huge problem when the wall fell over. Now...4 feet below ground. One block high above ground. Then another block on top of the liner holding no water. My wife arrived to see me holding back the levee when the wall started to bow. Then jumped out of the way to see the water floooow. This project is getting less fun by the minute!!

Jumbo
    Bow out from water pressure? Just two blocks? Or bow in from soil pressure?

Pump out the water ASAP to keep your ground stable. Wet is OK, saturated is trouble.

Mickey the windowman

I am curious to see how this goes, I am about to build a similar design with only 2 blocks above ground, anchored by rebar with 3.5 feet below ground, Now where do you get those curved concrete blocks?

Definitely water pressure. So now it is done. It is two blocks high...but the liner only goes over the first block...so the water is only one block high. Seems to be strong now. In the spot that had the weakness, I put rebar in the block and nailed them into the ground...just to be safe. So..My pond is 4 feet below ground and 8 inches above ground.
    It was very hard to level things...so, some liner is showing. I want to figure out a way to cover the liner. Not sure what to use...any ideas?!?!

Great Decision!

Brutuscz,

I think you will be much happier from at least a design perspective with your change to a 16 inch wall above ground. The aesthetics not withstanding, you will be able to sit on a patio chair and watch your fish for hours, rahter than stand for minutes over a 30 plus inch wall.

Good luck with your project!

John Case

Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    So..My pond is 4 feet below ground and 8 inches above ground.
    It was very hard to level things...so, some liner is showing. I want to figure out a way to cover the liner. Not sure what to use...any ideas?!?!
    You could put in a footing and pour the remaning wall above ground. Not block but 1' concrete wall. A lot of work but gain back part of your design.

Bill
    Last edited by mstrseed; 10-15-2006 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Omission

here is an idea on how to hide the liner. this is what my friend did on his pond. see picture

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    Definitely water pressure. So now it is done. It is two blocks high...but the liner only goes over the first block...so the water is only one block high. Seems to be strong now. In the spot that had the weakness, I put rebar in the block and nailed them into the ground...just to be safe. So..My pond is 4 feet below ground and 8 inches above ground.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Above ground concrete pond..advice needed!!!-pond-wall-liner.jpg  

Block wall construction

Quote Originally Posted by mstrseed View Post
    You could put in a footing and pour the remaning wall above ground. Not block but 1' concrete wall. A lot of work but gain back part of your design.

Bill
    If you choose to build a block wall, it will not stand against the water pressure unless you have reinforced it both vertically and horizontally with rebar and filled the holes with concrete that is tamped while being poured.

Even one level high, the pressure of the water, over time, will cause the wall to fail.

Good luck!

John Case

Tosai
    john, my "first" pond builder installed cinder blocks one day when i was at work. two high, and claimed there was rebar inside. it just bothered me as i didn't see any evidence that rebar was installed. so...i took a sledge hammer and whacked the wall. guess what, NO REBAR. needless to say, that is not the case with my finished pond. unk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast