Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ideal cement wall thickness

ideal cement wall thickness

I plan to pour concrete to build the bio-filter with matala mats. any recommendation on how thick the wall should be to prevent water from leakage? the walls will be re-enforced with rebar to prevent cracking. I was going to use cinder blocks but since these are roughly 3x2x6 ft filter, which is small, I thought I pour concrete by myself.

also, if there is any draw backs on doing this, please let me know. if there are other methods of accomplishing this, please share your idea as well. I must have a custom size of 3x3x6 ft though.

thanks,

Steve

omg

are you kidding i just spent 30 mins typing an answer here. if you want steve, just call me, i'm in LA (213)///////

john

John,

I'll give you a call but it's beneficial to have something written down for future references as new pond builders often lurking around for info/tips. it would be well worth 30 mins of your time. I think

Steve

Daihonmei
    Steve,
    use Xypex as an admixture. PLEASE.
    I had it put in the stucco coating of my lake and it seems to work.
    Do some research and you'll see the benefit/insurance. leaks heal themselves.
    Enough to coat my lake was $100.

Luke,

sounds like a proven method. just to get an idea, how much of Xypex should I use for each cement bag?

btw, how thick should the wall be? would 4" thick be sufficient? I know you use cinder blocks and probably 1+ inches stucco coating, right? did you also fill the cinder blocks with cement?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee
    Steve,
    use Xypex as an admixture. PLEASE.
    I had it put in the stucco coating of my lake and it seems to work.
    Do some research and you'll see the benefit/insurance. leaks heal themselves.
    Enough to coat my lake was $100.

Daihonmei
    yes I solid poured the entire pond and dropped a length of rebar in every other hole and ran rebar around the perimeter of the pond in several of the runs of block.

Once you do the math and figure out the amount of concrete needed, tell the representative of xypex how much of what type of concrete you will be using and he will give you the amount....I used about 9 of the ten gallon bucket that was shipped to me...i think that was for 15-20 eighty lb sacks of stucco.
    You will use less, much less because the amount used is based on the amount of free lime available in the mix...there ain't no free lime in the agregate.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nguyen
    I plan to pour concrete to build the bio-filter with matala mats. any recommendation on how thick the wall should be to prevent water from leakage? the walls will be re-enforced with rebar to prevent cracking. I was going to use cinder blocks but since these are roughly 3x2x6 ft filter, which is small, I thought I pour concrete by myself.

also, if there is any draw backs on doing this, please let me know. if there are other methods of accomplishing this, please share your idea as well. I must have a custom size of 3x3x6 ft though.

thanks,

Steve
    Steve

You mention that the filter MUST be 3x3x6ft and that you plan on using Matala mat(glad to see you took Russell and I up on our suggestion). Matala mat measures 39" x 48". If you are making forms and mixing/pouring your own concrete why not make the inside dimension the same as the Matala? Also, I am assuming your measurements given are 3'W x 6'L x 3'deep?! Or is it to be 3'L x 3'W x 6'deep? How much Matala mat are you planning on using?

Mike

Jumbo
    I'm a carpenter and I would rather lay block than build forms any day.

Mickey the windowman

Honmei
    Please note that whatever thickness you go on your walls, code requires 3" of cover on either side of the rebar, so that your minimum thickness should be 6". This is so that the rebar will be protected from moisture and not rust. You can go thinner on your wall, but if your rebar rusts and expands, it will crack your walls.

Russ

Tosai
    When you are using cement and/or bricks in a pond...is there a risk of something within the cement or brick that could runoff in the water and be harmful to the fish?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast