Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: At Last

Jim . . .

looks like you're good to go! Hope it's a smooth, successful shoot.

Nisai
    Jim,

Looks Great! glad to see you moving forward I cant wait to see it in person. I'll try to get by next week between Denver & Chicago shows.

It's looking good!! Can't wait to see it once the shotcrete is done. It will take on a whole new dimension. Keep us updated.

Mike

minor bump in the road

well the shot crete went well and I'm anxious to get back to it. the pond that is.

Right after the pour and cleanup DW and I took our wedding anniversary camping trip.
    When I returned I had a letter from the city of Minneapolis Bldg inspections ofc. waiting. The long and short of it is that I have to stop work until I get a permit for my swimming pool.
    lest you think I'm totally stupid and didn't check into the bldg code etc. I did, and was told that a permit was not required for a koi pond. I should have got this in writing.
    They obviously think I'm bldg a swimming pool and now I'll have to go down and try to convince them it's really a fish pond. I don't think this is going to go well for finishing next wk.
    Did I mention I can't sleep.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails At Last-lake-pep.jpg   At Last-dw-journal.jpg   At Last-pond3-bd.jpg   At Last-pond3-pumptruck.jpg   At Last-pond3-shotc-done.jpg  

Jim . . .

Like the lake; love the pond; hate building permits. Best of luck and do hope this is just a minor glitch.

Nisai
    Jim,
    sorry to hear that. It is almost same thing happine to me,
    Check the city and asking them what is different between koi pond and the swimming pool. For what I know is the deep of the pond and pool are different to each other which separae their different. good luck.

Thanks to all for your kind encouragement.
    Well just got back from over 2 hrs at the bldg inspectors ofc. I did need to get a zoning permit - approval. didn't cost anything, just had to make sure the set backs were right. As far as the bldg permit goes they were very helpfull and issued a permit that stated I didn't need a permit because my fish pond was not for human swimming and therefore not a SWIMMING POOL. Only took 2 1/2 hrs of debate.
    I did have my plans which I think plaquated any structural concerns they had.
    Well back to work, Skip Russel of Upscale Coatings comes tomorro to spray on the Polyurea.

Jim

Nisai
    Jim,
    Good work.
    Please keep up post.

Jim

Yeah, it's surprising when you go into the building dept. in some cities. When you tell them you need a permit for a koi pond they look at you like you're nuts! They really don't even have anything on the books that says a permit is required, so they make something up. Depending on who you talk to, (nice or nasty) they may think it comes under the heading of a swimming pool - after all what else can they define it as - it sure ain't no WATER GARDEN POND!!!LOL A lot of them feel that anything over 2' deep is a pool.

A good lesson is to get what you're told in writing!! That way you have a name and can reference it if any hang ups should occur.

Nic job on the shotcrete by the way. It's coming along very nicely

Mike

Honmei
    Most cities that I have worked in in the Bay Area have required permits for a pond. Mike is right, really the only reason is for safety concerns. Anything over 18" deep needs to be protected from the public so that no children or animals fall in and drown. The permit is usually to make sure you have the proper set backs and that all doors leading from the house to the pond have an alarm that will go off when the door is opened. Also, side gates need to be self closing and open out toward the street. The perimeter fence needs to be 5' tall. Some cities require engineereing for anything over 3' deep.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast