Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: protein skimmer..Awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gallagher View Post
    Dan
    Very interesting design!
    I'm a little slow so bare with me on my questions. You say that the PS sits in a gravity feed sump. So what you're saying is that the water is pumped to the PS trickle tower and the exit water falls(?) into the sump where it gravity flows back to the pond, right? What I don't understand is how the foam moves out the Y?
    Jim,
    The PS was located in the third chamber of a gravity flow filter. A pump was drawing out of this chamber and Teed off to feed both the PS and the return to the pond. The foam is carried up through the Y by the air flow pulled down through the PS by the falling water. An air pump located under the PS would probably enhance this effect.

The bubbling foam is so elastic, from the disolved organics, that it resists the downward beating and preasure of the in coming water, exiting the void side of the Y which is the path of least resistance.
    Is this whats going on?
    Basically, Yes.
    Maybe this is the cure for the surface foaming of most TT.
    Everyone Knows that TTs or Shower filters tend to produce a stable foam. This is one method to collect and remove it. It may not be the best way for all situations , but it could work well in some.

Dan

[QUOTE=L5Vegan;60592]The PS was located in the third chamber of a gravity flow filter. A pump was drawing out of this chamber and Teed off to feed both the PS and the return to the pond. The foam is carried up through the Y by the air flow pulled down through the PS by the falling water. An air pump located under the PS would probably enhance this effect.

Thanks Dan,
    Is the bottom of the PS suspended in water just below the Y or does it rest on the bottom of the sump??

Is the bottom of the PS suspended in water just below the Y or does it rest on the bottom of the sump??
    Suspended.
    The sump that I had it in was a poor choice because the water level fluctuated quite a bit. Just something to keep in mind if you try it.
    Dan

Fry

Talking

[/quote]
    An air pump located under the PS would probably enhance this effect.

Hi Dan,

I'm really intersted in PS design.Since i've built one,it didnt produce foam.I'm quite upset of it.After looking at ur design,i'm tempted to retry.Before doing so,i'd like to have some info from u.I hope u don't mind.

1)Does your PS necessarily need an air pump?or just water pump?
    2)Can I just use 3" PVC pipe instead of 6" pipe(like yours)?
    3)what is the egg crate for?to support bioballs(trickle tower)?
    why did u install eggcrate just below the 3" foam oulet?(I noticed u installed 2 cuts of egg crate?
    4)If I'm using 400 gph pump,is this flow rate sufficient to produce foam?Does this pump run 24 hours a day?because i have already had that pump,so that i can save up money
    sorry 4 the many questions.bcoz i'm quite excited.in addition,my pond has been suffering from foam for 4 months .thanks a lot
    Last edited by brandontirza; 01-04-2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: additonal question

Banned

Question Mazzei Injector

I would like to build a venturi skimmer using a Mazzei-Injector.
    5k gal pond. My new bio shower-ugly beast spews bubbles.:eek
    I found these Mazzei-Injectors at a good price. I need help please choosing what size to buy. There are too many variables for someone who has never built one.
    The body will be built around the injector we choose.
    .5" 200 gph $39
    .75" 384 gph $39
    1" 1020 gph 240 cubic ft/hr of air. $60
    1.5" 2040 gph $75
    2" 6060 gph $229

I have invested several days researching this. I don't want to mess with all the cleaning and replacing of air stones. I know that I can DIY a venturi. I will make the body out of PVC or/and fiberglass. Sounds like a plan? Lori
    Please someone help me. I do not want to ruin this. Thank you very much!! Lori
    I have enclosed a photo of Ugly beast for your viewing enjoyment. I have read this several times I hope it makes sense.

Banned

Red face Nevermind

I am starting over. After additional research my grandiose idea will cost more than a Factory made protein skimmer.I will be going to The box stores and buying stock pipe.
    I hope I did not waste anyone's time. Lori

Tosai
    Well, at least now you understand how the thing works. Which factory skimmers are you looking at?

Since you've got a shower, you might not really need a skimmer tube. Many people have contrived to capture the foam from the shower. There might be a great reason not to do this, but if you haven't run across the idea before, you might want to do some more reading before you buy anything.

Quote Originally Posted by UP ALL NIGHT!! View Post
    I am starting over. After additional research my grandiose idea will cost more than a Factory made protein skimmer.I will be going to The box stores and buying stock pipe.
    I hope I did not waste anyone's time. Lori
    If'n it wuz me (and it isn't) I'd just go with one of the simple DIY airlift designs. Wonderfully simple to build as a compact stand alone unit, easily moved around to virtually anywhere in the pond you want it, and will not require any mods to your existing system. (That is one seriously kick ass shower)

Banned
    Otter- Which factory skimmers are you looking at?
    Aqua Foam PVC Protein Skimmer.It's Beautiful!!!!
    Emperor Aquatics.
    DIY similar as above. things I am working through.
    [I]An efficient way to Drain away the gunk.
    Mazzei-Injector- An effective way to form the air/water collision. The reef forums pointed me in this direction.
    A way to control water flow from pump. I want to Tie it into my current pump.
    I read that you can put the skimmer before your filter??? Has anyone heard of this?

DIY option II. Meg PM me this info/photo Design by Ryan S. Koi Shack. It is of the same thought as Otter.
    I like it! I will Think about this.

Papabear 90% of me agrees It's the nagging regret I am afraid of.I still have a retro bottom drain. I plan to put one in this October.
    Thanks about the shower. I was determined to use that old chamber. It was a plant bio filter from years ago.
    I Love how it sounds.
    Thank you all for the input. Lori/Dyslectic Mess
    Last edited by UP ALL NIGHT!!; 07-09-2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Forgot to give Ryan S., Koi Shack credit for his design.

My thinking on a stand-alone airlift fractionator is the absence of any need to alter your existing plumbing or interrupt flow in any way. Venturi's make head loss a necessity which diminishes pump performance and require a very fine tuned fractionating column to operate well. The airlift type are cheap and easy to make, low operating expense, easy to fine tune, and simple to drain foam in a controlled manner. For a setup like you have it would be easy as pie to place one in the former veggie chamber

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast