Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: protein skimmer..Awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    I saw a thread on koiphen about a DIY protein skimmer. I figured..what the heck? I already had a 900gph pump laying around and an air pump with manifold and 6 airstones. A trip to home depot...cost about $10-15. I also had some 2"pvc..so I used that. I built a skimmer similar to the one in this picture(lifted off koiphen). It is Da Bomb!!! Took out 2 gallons of brown garbage the first day. Took about 1-1.5 gallons each day for the next 2 days. My water has never been more clear!!! Not a drop of foam on the surface of the water. Really happy with this project...Highly recommended!!!
    Hi how can I get some information about how to do this DIY protein skimmer, we're trying to buy one or make one, can you help me

frz
    Fry

links dont work

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nguyen View Post
    hi steve,
    the links dont work..
    rgds
    frz

Quote Originally Posted by ZUROBI3 View Post
    Hi how can I get some information about how to do this DIY protein skimmer, we're trying to buy one or make one, can you help me
    A picture is worth a 1000 words, but I do not have a picture of the DIY I use.

The bubbles come from from a swimming pool jet.

I have attached a picture of the original idea that was published in Koi USA.

I have made a couple modifications.

When the weather gets better, I will try and remember to take a picture.

-Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails protein skimmer..Awesome!!!-foam1.jpg  

Tategoi
    Hey Richard,

Based on that little diagram, it seems like the foam would have to travel a considerable vetical distance before being able to get dumped out of the aeration column. I would think that a taller aeration column -- with the water exiting near the top and the foam outlet just a little bit higher than the "turn" the water takes to flow onward -- would be more efficient?

What the heck are dietary protein comments doing in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    I get the feeling that someone googled up "protein" and started posting up questions anywhere they got a hit without regard to relevance of the topic at hand...

eds
    Sansai
    I think it's a spammer. There seem to be quite a few at the moment that post almost relevant messages for some reason before spamming properly.

Hey Richard,
    Based on that little diagram, it seems like the foam would have to travel a considerable vetical distance before being able to get dumped out of the aeration column. I would think that a taller aeration column -- with the water exiting near the top and the foam outlet just a little bit higher than the "turn" the water takes to flow onward -- would be more efficient?
    Re: previous diagram
    The water enters from the Right through a venturi jet (L). I use a 1.5 -> 3 offset adapter (K) used in R.V.s. to help the incoming "jet" of bubbles to rotate. The diagram is poor and not to scale. The pipe (P) is not glued and therefore is the adjustment for foam.

See attached new (unfinished) drawing for a better idea how I do it.
    I will go out now and take pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails protein skimmer..Awesome!!!-foam2.jpg  

OK, attached is some real pictures.

The first picture is a "3 inch" model I took off of a 1200 gallon pond.
    The pvc venturi tee jet is missing and the the upper 1 inch pvc pipe and cup is missing. Note the offset 1.5" -> 3" reducer.

The second picture is a "4 inch" model that is installed on my 2500 gallon pond. Note the dried foam on the pipes.

My experience with "protein skimmers" on fresh water ponds is that they do not always produce foam. During the summer months when the amount of food being fed and the amount of fish waste is at the highest, I get a fair amount of foam.

The "protein skimmers" pictured are for DIY ponders that like to experiment with filtration.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails protein skimmer..Awesome!!!-ff_1550.jpg   protein skimmer..Awesome!!!-ff_1549.jpg  

Hey Richard,
    The way it was explained to me was the initial foam produced is not concentrated enough to maintain bubbles to "climb" the dry column.
    As more and more foam is added to the area just above water in the larger aeration column, a longer lasting, more concentrated foam is produced that climbs the dry column.
    You adjust the foam by lengthening or shortening the top I inch section of pipe.
    If the foam is too runny, you will loose more water and the protein skimmer will act like an aquarium under gravel filter air-lift pump.
    If the foam is too dry, it will not climb and collect in the "cup" at the top.

Tategoi
    Thanks Richard!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast