Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lilhelpers 6000 Gallon pond!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    17 years old...I was 16 when I built my first pond, while fitting football and hanging out with my buds.

My disclaimer is there, because some people get offended with what I say at times. Anyways, my sig always changes dude...

By the way, where are your fish being housed at now?
    I built my first pond when I was 13.
    I have 2 koi ponds, one incomplete, one finished.
    I want to join a sport, probably Water polo, but I cant until I get a car, and my schedule screws everything up too.

Quote Originally Posted by lilhelper View Post
    I built my first pond when I was 13.
    I have 2 koi ponds, one incomplete, one finished.
    I want to join a sport, probably Water polo, but I cant until I get a car, and my schedule screws everything up too.
    Damn at 13 you built your first pond...very cool, then you have 4 years of pond experience. Any new pics of your pond?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    Damn at 13 you built your first pond...very cool, then you have 4 years of pond experience. Any new pics of your pond?
    Yes, but I have yet to upload them.
    All we have to do is put the bottom drain through the liner.
    All the rocks are in place and the HUGE ones are mortared in.
    I cant wait to have some Shamo's swimming around in the pond in the future.

Banned
    Making rock wall for the bog.

Instead of having a sucking undergravel system, we will be having a pushing undergravel system. Just think of an undergravel system reversed. It will be puching water up through the pea gravel, but this is water from the filter, so it has already been filtered quite well. Does this kind of make the idea to have a gravel filter better?

There is no way to make a gravel filter better. You are asking for trouble on several levels.

Banned

I wish I could change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winkler View Post
    There is no way to make a gravel filter better. You are asking for trouble on several levels.
    My step dad does not understand all about a true koi pond, and I imagine I dont. He likes to trust the books more than me , which is understandable to a point... He reads a lot of those "water garden books" I told him to read koi kichi, he says he has other books to read.
    He has begun construction on the rock wall already, and Its too late for change.
    But I guess he will be vacuuming out that gravel, and not me, I didnt really want this "bog" anyways. Oh well, Im not paying for it.
    atleast it will be a nice pond.

Well now I know we have one flaw about our pond.
    I am going to tell david to only put about 3-4 inches of gravel, rather than the 18 inches he wanted. That is FAR To much. Hopefully it will lessen the pain.

Here's a suggestion - steal all your step dad's "water garden" books and replace them with real books on koi. LOL Then he won't have anything else to read - maybe then he'll change his mind and get it right

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by lildude View Post
    Making rock wall for the bog.

Instead of having a sucking undergravel system, we will be having a pushing undergravel system. Just think of an undergravel system reversed. It will be puching water up through the pea gravel, but this is water from the filter, so it has already been filtered quite well. Does this kind of make the idea to have a gravel filter better?
    Put an air manifold in the bottom of it hooked to a spa blower and have a drain valve above the gravel level, but below the waterfall/spillway. You can then open the drain valve and turn on the airblower to flush the gravel bed regularly without all the mulm ending up back in the pond.

Bob, what about burt ballou's design, that's not good?

Quote Originally Posted by danzcool View Post
    Put an air manifold in the bottom of it hooked to a spa blower and have a drain valve above the gravel level, but below the waterfall/spillway. You can then open the drain valve and turn on the airblower to flush the gravel bed regularly without all the mulm ending up back in the pond.

Bob, what about burt ballou's design, that's not good?

Lil'Dude: Not too late. If I understand right. 3" or 12", it is still a bad idea. Skip the gravel and make a diff way to put the return water back to the pond. Jet, waterfall, anything. If your step dad can't be dissuaded from the perils of gravel then try and put the line near the pond going to the upflow area in a place where you can get to it later. That may or may not make sense. Gives you flexibility to change later. If it is below water level, a valve and union (pond side) would be even more forethought. If I seem to be rambling, then ignore the man behind the curtain.

Danz: By Burts design, do you mean the "outside the pond chambers with upflow thru gravel"? I very much respect Burt's vast pond building knowledge, and I know that he likes it. That counts for alot with me. It is better than an in-Pond filter of a similar design, IMHO. It is not what I am choosing on our pond. I do not remember Burt having any gravel in his pond, but a smooth surface (former swimming pool). Which I like for a number of reasons. My philosophy is much closer to that in the "vein" of Peter Waddington, Tom Lansing, and Steve Childers. That "type" of pond has worked well for me over the last 6 years, and very well for some people successfully keeping and developing show koi. Plus I am too lazy to make much extra work. So Burt's just takes more work, and he does a great job with it. Which doesn't make it bad. Just not my preference.
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winkler View Post
    Lil'Dude: Not too late. If I understand right. 3" or 12", it is still a bad idea. Skip the gravel and make a diff way to put the return water back to the pond. Jet, waterfall, anything. If your step dad can't be dissuaded from the perils of gravel then try and put the line near the pond going to the upflow area in a place where you can get to it later. That may or may not make sense. Gives you flexibility to change later. If it is below water level, a valve and union (pond side) would be even more forethought. If I seem to be rambling, then ignore the man behind the curtain.

Danz: By Burts design, do you mean the "outside the pond chambers with upflow thru gravel"? I very much respect Burt's vast pond building knowledge, and I know that he likes it. That counts for alot with me. It is better than an in-Pond filter of a similar design, IMHO. It is not what I am choosing on our pond. I do not remember Burt having any gravel in his pond, but a smooth surface (former swimming pool). Which I like for a number of reasons. My philosophy is much closer to that in the "vein" of Peter Waddington, Tom Lansing, and Steve Childers. That "type" of pond has worked well for me over the last 6 years, and very well for some people successfully keeping and developing show koi. Plus I am too lazy to make much extra work. So Burt's just takes more work, and he does a great job with it. Which doesn't make it bad. Just not my preference.
    Well I can understand about the Undergravel filter thing, but we are having a bead filter. The Gravel thing is only for the bog, which could spell more disaster, but he wanted plants somewhere, and he didnt want a plantless pond. The gravel area will be totally cut off to koi and will be divided from the main pond through a rock wall with mortar.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast