Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: DIY Bakki Shower

Fry

DIY Bakki Shower

Hi Guys, I'm busy building my own DIY bakki shower. I've got 5 meat trays (80cm x 40cm x 25cm HxWxD) and I need to know what size holes I should drill in the bottoms: 8mm or 12mm or bigger? The pump I have has the capacity to turn the pond over about 5 times per hour. That's a lot of water. My thoughts at the moment are:
    Small holes equals smaller drops of water equals better air contact but also a higher chance of clogging up by algae.
    Larger holes equals bigger drops of water equals less air contact but presumably greater flow and less chance of algae clogging.
    Is my thinking correct? Any advice from those who have gone before?

Larger Holes..... Look at the SS Bakki Showers, and you will see it is more of a "grate" with more open area than closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Shearar View Post
    Hi Guys, I'm busy building my own DIY bakki shower. I've got 5 meat trays (80cm x 40cm x 25cm HxWxD) and I need to know what size holes I should drill in the bottoms: 8mm or 12mm or bigger? The pump I have has the capacity to turn the pond over about 5 times per hour. That's a lot of water. My thoughts at the moment are:
    Small holes equals smaller drops of water equals better air contact but also a higher chance of clogging up by algae.
    Larger holes equals bigger drops of water equals less air contact but presumably greater flow and less chance of algae clogging.
    Is my thinking correct? Any advice from those who have gone before?
    Hi Mark

It also depends on exactly how much water you are pumping into the shower. Definitely the larger the hole the better. I would also advise you to place a layer of water drainage cell at the bottom first before you drill the holes. This will raise any media off the floor and make the media more efficient. You will also have less fine particle build up then you would if you had media covering the holes. Drainage cells are a strong plastic framework with very large holes. After you place the drainage cell in you can work out where to drill the holes.

I can send you a photo if you don know what a drainage cell looks like

TEWA
    There is no such thing as a zero maintenance pond but the closer you get the more time to enjoy your koi. Soft low TDS water is the perfect pond water.
    http://www.tewakoi.com

Fry
    Thanks Bob and Tewa, I think the drainage cell is probably what I'm using in my 400l Malawi tank on the overflow and in the sump. Basically just a sturdy plastic grid. I must confess I never thought of using one in the shower but it does make sense. I'm going to go with the 12mm holes then as well (less drilling *phew*!)