Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: How to Build a Mud Pond

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    See the bridge, the ice is under it, you just have to get out your zambonee or whatever you call those ice rink thing a ma doodles.
    If you have a mud pond it is a good idea to clear snow as if you do not the snow will stop the sunlight and kill the alge resulting in fish losses . My biggest losses were when mink moved in for the winter not only will they kill fish but will also chase them around . I t was great when my son used to come and have hockey games on pond never lost a fish then .
    Regards
    Eugene

Fry

Talking

Hey KoiCare,,
    Where in the search did you find 95% of your answers...I went and searched and found nothing very helpful at all. I just bought 15 acres in Florida...I have the Excavators coming in 2 weeks to start digging about a 2 acre pond that will be 20ft deep on the far end...10 ft around the center..and 4 to 6 ft on the Dock end. It's easy to get spring fed clear water here in Florida. I also plan 2 large Bog Gardens on either side of it...A Koi TiKi Shack..LOL and about a 1000gallon Quarantine Tank In the center of a tropical Plant garden. I'm going to slope the sides..lay down some plastic and have beach sand hauled in to keep the sides nice,,and grass free...don't want to have to mow real close to the pond. The sloped sides will also allow me to place some potted plants on the sides just under the water where the koi can't tear them up so bad. I have been drawing out these plans for a couple months...LOL
    I have changed them many times..but Now I think I'm ready to do or die!! I will try and get step by step pictures as I go along and keep track of any problems I might run into. I have had Koi in small pre-made type ponds for about 15 yrs...Now I want the big real and EASY way to go. Fish are going to love me.
    I'm going to fence the whole surrounding acreage in and have 2 bad dogs patrolling the perimiters....No predators are going to get into my pond except maybe a snake...and thats easy enough to get out. Good-Luck on your new pond...would like to hear any new tips you hear along the way also....
    Smiles...
    Shelby

Tosai

HI Julie

[email protected]. Selling the farm

aka koifishgirl

Quote Originally Posted by koifishgirl View Post
    [email protected]. Selling the farm

aka koifishgirl
    No.... Whyfore?

Money, and no help

Unhappy

Well gee--that just bites, my friend. You've put in so much time and work already. I DO know what it reads like on the money and help page. I'm bookmarked on it right now as a matter of fact--right at a pivotal point where everything will come together or fall in on itself. It's a scary and uncertain place to be. I, too, need a reliable, stable, dedicated partner to make this easier, not harder, like what is happening right now. It would be easier if I were alone than going through this shyte. It's just one thing after another, and I'm getting real tired of it....

Where will you go if you sell? What will become of your babies you've bred and your beloved oyagoi?

I feel for you. This is monumentally sad.

Marie

Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

Sansai
    I havent had the chance to visit for a while, so sorry about the late post to your question.

First off, find someone that knows what they are doing. Not just someone that says they know how. Get references. Secondly, if you are building a dam, it has to be constructed carefully and properly, otherwise you will have problems, especially in hilly areas with rain. Seen too many dams not built correctly slide away with a wall of water behind them. Last one was about 4 miles from here, took 2 houses and a barn with it. Awsome to see a 15 foot tall dam slide down hill 30 feet.

Now, as to the actual construction, you can use liners if you want. BUt liners will float if the ground water level is high, so it needs to be raised in those areas. Also, if you have deer, dogs, or other animals, the first 6-10 feet around the sides that are under water need to be covered by at least a foot of soil, preferably compacted to protect the lining.

If you use clay, have the clay tested. In my area, there are good deposits of pure clay that will roll down and make a good lining. Problem is that many think they have the good clay, because the soil is red, but it has some stone deposits in it, which makes the clay worthless for a pond. In our area they recomend 4 feet on the bottom vibratory packed, with 2-3 feet on the sides.

One method I also use is a layer of sodium bentonite clay. In the pond below, we are using 75 tons spread out over the bottom, then covering it up with 18-24 inches of native soil. This will also be sheepsfooted in 6 inch layers.

This pond had been built by "prefessional" pond builders twice. The dam was way too steep, a 1-1 slope, and it had massive cracks lengthwise that were 7-8 feet deep. WE had to rebuild the dam and made the pond larger and deeper.

This is what it looks like right now. The clay will be in on monday, the pond will be ready for water by wednesday.

Ill post the photos as soon as I get them resized.

d

Sansai

The photos promised

The first of the photos shows the dam. the dam was put in over another shallow dam that was not toed into the ground below, only built on the surface. It was also put in with a gravity slope, not the 3-1 slope that is recomended as a min. The photo shows Cole with an 8 foot long grounding rod stuck 4 feet into one of the cracks. The second shows his foot in one of them on the water side. You can see another one a couple of feet on the other side, and if you look close, you can also see the begining of one right down the middle.

Next is the way the dam looks now, with the pond. Because we needed so much fill for the dam, the pond is larger by 45%, and deeper as well. And of course if it ever rains, it will hold water after tuesday. The bentonite clay will be delivered sometime either sunday or monday.

THe real trick in building any pond is to build it right the first time. And key to a mud pond is the vibrating roller. We poured a bottle of water at the bottom of the pond, where there was a lot of dust. After 5 minutes in 89F weather with full sun, there was still a puddle at the bottom. And that is without the sodium bentonite clay. The photo was stitched, so pardon the size.

As a bonus, we found this little thing running around next to the pond. The poor thing could not see, as the eyes were tightly shut with mucus, could only see shadows. Called him Lucky, as it was a true miracle that the dozer did not hit him as he was in the weeds. The shot was taken a half hour after we started to clean out his eyes with a wet rag.

d
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to Build a Mud Pond-pole-dam.jpg   How to Build a Mud Pond-shoe-dam.jpg   How to Build a Mud Pond-untitled-stitched-01.jpg   How to Build a Mud Pond-lucky.jpg  

Sansai
    Well monday came, and the first truck arrived. Takes an average of 1 1/2 hours to get the trucks down the road to the house, go past the house to the next intersection, turn around, then back to the drive, where they have to back up the hill to the pond. They dumped the clay on top of the dam, the only flat spot to dump it on. we then took the skid steer and spread it out on the floor and sides of the pond. In the photo, I am putting the first coat of dirt back over the clay, about 6 inches of dirt. This is packed in and rolled hard.

Kinda funny, here it is, tuesday night. the third truck went missing all day monday, and part of today. It seems the driver had a need that needed to be fixed? Anyway, what should have been here monday will be here on wednesday AM. Will take some photos of that being unloaded on the dam.

After that, we will be able to finish the rest of the pond by tomorrow night, and start filling it then.

d
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to Build a Mud Pond-dscn7999-i.jpg  

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast