Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Bead Filter

I'm going to have to read this a couple of times to make sure I got everything, but great build. Thanks for taking the time to document it for us!

-Dan

Sansai
    Can you name your source for the beads? Thanks, the place that I bought from last time doesn't have the same product available this time.

Rick

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Can you name your source for the beads? Thanks, the place that I bought from last time doesn't have the same product available this time.

Rick
    I got my beads from a koi keeper who had extra. I don't know the brand or manufacture, sorry. Maybe if Rich knows he will chime in.

Sansai
    I think that Garrett used the same stuff. Thanks for the try though.

Rick

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    I think that Garrett used the same stuff. Thanks for the try though.

Rick
    Garrett ended up going with the doll stuffing beads. i know these were from a filter company but don't know who.

Jumbo

It Works

In fact it works better than I ever thought. But then I have never used a 2 HP blower before so I had no idea what it would do. Picture shows the temp. 2" line I ran back to the vortex for circulation. I shut down the pump, Took the cap off the vent and added a 90, closed the discharge to the vortex, opened the line to waste and turned on the blower. My gosh, I thought that thing was headed for the moon!. It was quite apparent the blower will do a super job of stiring up the beads. While running the blower I turned on the pump again and started the flow to waste. Got mostly clean water of course being only circulating clean water for a few hours but it all worked just great. And no leaks.
    The only possible problem I see is maybe with bead filter inline my pump might end up being to small. I woh't know until I get the pond up and running. I'm also going to get a pressure gauge so I can check my back pressure and see what that is.

Jumbo
    I put a pressure gauge on the discharge of the pump this morning. Picture is kind of out of focus but it's running 2 PSI. Also here's a picture of the valve I put on the vent

Tategoi
    Great work. Think about sending an article about it to Koi USA. You might mention ******* while you're at it.

By the way, if you can, check the pressure at the outlet. If there's any drop in the line you can subtract it from the pressure drop you now have. A manometer will do the job. Or you can remove the line and watch for any change in the pressure gage.

Also. the 2" manifold will require you to close off the leading valves to balance the flows you want for each line. There are lots of vortexes in there. Unless the 2" size is already oversized, the manifold should be two sizes over the line size. That's on a 5fps flow; the slower flow will eliminate any vortex problem.

Nice going!

Tategoi
    I couldn't read the gauge. Did you account for verticle head. It should be around 1 pound there. It will show up if you turn off the pump and you can subtract that from the pressure dropacross the operating filter.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich L View Post
    I couldn't read the gauge. Did you account for verticle head. It should be around 1 pound there. It will show up if you turn off the pump and you can subtract that from the pressure dropacross the operating filter.
    Hi Rich, glad to see you here. I didn't look at the static pressure and have the system shut down and drained now. Super cold temps here. I have the three valves so I can balance the flows. Should be flowing about 2,000 GPH per line. Check my indoor pond nthread for pictures of the outlet manifold installed with two UV's and a heat exchanger.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast