Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what can i use as a filter pad

Sansai
    Use Pvc shavings. I've used both floating media (Kaldness type) and PVC shavings and I like the shavings better. Lower cost, easy cleaning and if you spill it or need to remove it you can do it in seconds. It comes in three widths and the black is UV resistant.
    I've also run it in tanks with airsones for better circulation in a bio tank and that works great too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what can i use as a filter pad-air-lift-q-tank-024-958x719.jpg  

I don't know... Shaved PVC is going to be leaching loads of plastifiers into the water because of the larges surface area! I'd prefer polyethylene or polypropylene

B.Scott

Sansai
    I've never heard of that before. I've used it for some time now with no problems and I know it's been used in aquaculture for some time. In the finer strands it's even used in water purifiction.

Still it is one of the down sides to using PVC in general. PVC needs plastifiers (phthalates) to keep it from becoming brittle. Notice that if you give an old piece of use PVC a whack with a hammer is splinters into 1000 bits. Try it with a new piece and the hammer will often just glance off it with not damage. The reason for this is the old piece has had a large amount of it's plastifiers leached from the pipe.

The compounds are not totally innocuous in as much as they act as a synthetic hormone in many vertebrates and can cause developmental problems in young animals. In a piece of pipe the exposure is limited to the inside of the pipe surface. But once you shave it up into little curls the surface area if increased buy a huge amount (which is exactly the reason you use it for filter media). This causes an exponential increase in the plasifiers. Although the toxicity of single large doses in adults are generally low the effect can be cumulative and the effect on young orginisums is hotly debated.

It's use in aquaculture most likely is due to the simple fact that it is dirt cheap. Tens of thousands of tons of disgarded PVC is submitted for recyling every year. Any use thay can find for it is usually most welcome.

B.Scott
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12