Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what can i use as a filter pad

Banned

what can i use as a filter pad

i have this 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tank and i want to turn it into a filter. could i beable to use like a large blanket made out of polyester and on the inside of it having that polyester stuffing? and just stuff the stock tank with it? if not what can i use as a filter pad

I would avoid that if you don't want to produce a giant crap-trap teabag to make you water full of anerobic bacteria.

Much better would be to make something in the form of a static kaldness prefilter. I've seen many made of buckets and tubs.

B.Scott

Got to agree with B Scott on the polyfill matting. It is great for filtering out "fines", but plugs up easily and is a pain to clean. I have a tub filter similar to what you describe with coarse Jmat and open weave polyethylene (produce bags) hanging in curtains. Kaldness would be a better choice though.

Banned
    how bout a furnace filter pad for mechanical and lava rocks for bio filtration?

K.K., you are missing the point. Of course these things will strain out the crap but they then become an almost uncleanable source of bacteria that will cause your koi nothing but grief and illness. Take my word for it. Get yourself an easy pod or build your own static K filter. Easy peasy to throw together and they work great.

B.Scott

MCA
    Definitely go static K1 for mechanical, fluid K1 for bio (and improved aeration) and lastly...go static K1. That last stage of static K1 should develp some bio capability and trap the fines that break lose from the fluid bed stage. The second stage is self cleaning. The first and third stages are cleaned by redirecting air to them (boiling them puppies!!!) and dumping the chamber.

Even easier to clean than a dang bead filter!!!

Another vote here for static Kaldnes filters for mechanical filtration. They are easy to build, very easy to clean and they do a great job. I hate filter mats with a passion. Forget the blanket idea. Quilt batting stops up with algae and is impossible to clean well. Static k1 filters are so easy to clean you don't even have to get your hands wet! Filter brushes are also pretty good for mechanical filtration and are easier than matting to clean.

Honmei
    Bumpity bump.

Okay I can get really, really, really bored sometimes...and I'm not an artist. I figure with a 100 gal. tank you should be able to make a combo static/moving bed filter using either K1 or bioflo 9. Without putting to much thought into it the tank could be divided into thirds, with 1/3 being static and 2/3 being moving bed. Here is a ruff drawing of what is floating around in my head. Oh, and I'm assuming you already have a bottom drain or skimmer this will run off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what can i use as a filter pad-stock-tank.jpg  

Jumbo
    Chris, love your air pump discription.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast