Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expanding my pond

Tosai

Expanding my pond

I am planning to triple the size of my pond this spring. My current pond is approximately 1100 gallons and I would like to expand to approximately 3500 gallons. I currently have a Ultima II 2000 filter and a 40 watt UV, which is good for a 1100 gallon pond. I am trying to be as cost effective as possible (my wife has already threatened divorce!) Does anyone have any suggestions. I would like to somehow keep the current equipment if possible, but also want a crystal clear pond and healthy fish.

Thank you

Jumbo
    A very good finish filter is Kent Wallace's up flow sand/gravel filter. This has to be pump fed so it would sit at your water fall. It will add bio capacity and polish your water. Here's a construction thread from another forum.
    http://www.*******.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36550

A good bio filter that is as cheap as you can get is gravity fed 55 gal barrels with poly package strapping in them. A 9,000 foot roll sells for $28 and will fill two barrels. Use uni seals where you can, they are cheaper than buldheads.

Jumbo
    After adding my reply I see koi bito blocked the word ******* from the hyperlink. So it won't work. Sorry, I tried.

Jumbo
    David, if you want to e-mail me
    [email protected]
    I will send you the link for Kent's filter.

[quote=davidk;73319]I am planning to triple the size of my pond this spring. My current pond is approximately 1100 gallons and I would like to expand to approximately 3500 gallons.

That is a little small for koi fish that will give you app 10x10 x6ft deep . Double the size and you should be ok .Just have fewer fish if you cannot afford the filtration right now . There is not that much diffrence in cost but it is going to be expensive if you want to do it again . That is if you wish to have a few better koi down the road .
    Regards
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by davidk View Post
    I am planning to triple the size of my pond this spring. My current pond is approximately 1100 gallons and I would like to expand to approximately 3500 gallons. I currently have a Ultima II 2000 filter and a 40 watt UV, which is good for a 1100 gallon pond. I am trying to be as cost effective as possible (my wife has already threatened divorce!) Does anyone have any suggestions. I would like to somehow keep the current equipment if possible, but also want a crystal clear pond and healthy fish.

Thank you
    If you have an in ground pond, you may be to use your existing pond as a base and convert it to a semi rasied pond. If you don't have a bottom drain, get one and get a brand new filtration circuit on it. Put the existing Ultima and UV on a skimmer circuit. You would not want your bottom drain going straight to an Ultima.

Perhaps you can attach a picture or diagram of your existing pond so we have a better idea of what you are working with.

-Dan

Jumbo
    (my wife has already threatened divorce!) Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Dump her and get a new wife and pond both? Heck, get two wive's and two ponds like EugeneG has. (ponds I mean)
    Thank you
    See how you can take the guy's own words and make trouble? DavidK, good luck. If you ever come back to read these suggestions you can get a lot of qualified help from these guys. Don't get overwhelmed. Take it slow.

[quote=mitten;73457]Dump her and get a new wife and pond both? Heck, get two wive's and two ponds like EugeneG has. (ponds I mean)

A lot of truth in this jest I have been married for 45years and in all honesty I have got so involved with my diffrent hobbies over the years that I have never had time or money to stray. A pond is a lot lower cost than a divorce . If you need to add a little spice to your life build or construct something or get yourself a few nice fish . As long as a pond is esthatically pleasing it is a great addition for the whole family .
    Regards
    Eugene

MCA
    One of the pond owners on Koi Keepers 5 stated that a koi pond should alway be at least 5000 gallons. The reason is that smaller bodies of water are more suspectible to problems from rapidly changing temps, ph...etc. There is probably a great deal of truth in that. At around 5,000 gallons we are also around the limits for what we should do to keep the pond to one bottom drain and one filter system.

Bottom line....try to get the pond a weeeee bit closer to 5000 gallons. You koi will greatly appreciate every gallon.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Tosai

Filter System

Thank you all for your recommendations on expanding my pond - greatly appreciated. I'm now trying to get your opinion on a filter system. What filter system do you recommend for a 5000 gallon pond? I have approximately 12 koi (average size is 9").

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast