Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A little $$$ pond filtration upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    OK.....never mind....that might not work too well for you. It would be too much work pumping that barrel out every few days. I really like it because when I dump that water, you would not believe the amount of crud that is washed away. It makes my system stay so much cleaner.

Another thing you could do. Bury another barrel DEEP. Make the top of the barrel level with the bottom of the filter barrels. This is your sump barrel. Drop a sump pump down in the bottom of it and then you would be able to drain the contents of either barrel into the sump barrel for disposal. I think you are not going to be very happy not having a way to clean out the settling barrel.
    You could use the main pump to pump it out. Add a drain line to the bottom of the barrel. Then run it back to the pump. To clean: Turn off pump. Close drains numbered 1 and 2 and the knife valve from the bottom drain. Open valve 3 and switch the jandy valve on the return line over to the drain line. Clean the microscreen so the settlement barrel is a big mess and then turn the pump on. When the barrel is mostly empty open the knife valve which will purge the bottom drain line and fill the barrel faster then the pump can pump it out. Once the water in the barrel is clear switch the valves back to the normal positions and top off the pond with fresh water. See attached for the additional plumbing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A little $$$ pond filtration upgrade-filter.jpg  
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth View Post
    You could use the main pump to pump it out. Add a drain line to the bottom of the barrel. Then run it back to the pump. To clean: Turn off pump. Close drains numbered 1 and 2 and the knife valve from the bottom drain. Open valve 3 and switch the jandy valve on the return line over to the drain line. Clean the microscreen so the settlement barrel is a big mess and then turn the pump on. When the barrel is mostly empty open the knife valve which will purge the bottom drain line and fill the barrel faster then the pump can pump it out. Once the water in the barrel is clear switch the valves back to the normal positions and top off the pond with fresh water. See attached for the additional plumbing.
    will a sequence pump handle solids? Can it handle things like Hycynth roots??

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    will a sequence pump handle solids? Can it handle things like Hycynth roots??
    not very well. It can handle some stuff, but it's not really designed to do so. The impellers will clog up at some point reducing the amount of water that it's able to pump. Sequence pumps are pretty tough though. I accidently overfilled my Nexus once and a bunch of kaldnes flowed over the metal grating and into the pump inlet. Would you believe that pump sent the kaldnes out thru it's discharge and into the pond??? Pretty wild! I am sure it was not good for the pump. Soft stuff like hycintha roots shouldn't hurt it, but still probably not real good for it.

It can certainly handle koi crap with no problems and a leaf trap on the pump should handle anything larger.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Jumbo
    Ethan, I also would recomend a static pre filter. I use PVC shavings in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Ethan, I also would recomend a static pre filter. I use PVC shavings in mine.
    Where do you get the pvc shavings from?

Ethan

Jumbo

Ethan
    I got mine from Kent Wallace. I will try to get a number for you.

Jumbo

Ethan
    Ethan, here's the number for Kent.
    [email protected] Phone-Cell (702)544-0519.....Office (702)845-6782

so I got my Sequence 4200 today in the mail. I have 3 cubic feet of PVC shavings for my media coming as well. I ordered a 4 inch ball valve from a member here, and that will go IN the pond instead of outside. It will be harder for me to access...but for now it will work. One, I have long arms. Two, it will enable me to drain all the water from the lines up to the ball valve, so all the water in the winter WILL BE IN THE POND at least 2 feet below the surface. Right now I cannot go deeper than this, so it will have to work. My wife said she wants the Laguna filter falls used since we just bought it last year, so I am using it for my bio media. It has a built in spraybar. I will remove the brushes and trays that media usually goes into in order to maximize my volume for media. This is how I see it working so far. Any thoughts/questions/suggestions!? I am open to any!

Ethan

So is the water gravity flowing back to the pond? the only suggestion I would make is tie the static K1 filter in the first tank to the PVC filter with a 4" line and instead of putting the pump between them, draw the water from the second filter with the pump and send it back to the pond.

I am not so sure I like the idea of the valve in the bottom of the pond though. If you are keeping the pond running year round, it would not freeze anyway. In the pond it is an obstuction that koi can get injured on.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast