Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A little $$$ pond filtration upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    So is the water gravity flowing back to the pond? the only suggestion I would make is tie the static K1 filter in the first tank to the PVC filter with a 4" line and instead of putting the pump between them, draw the water from the second filter with the pump and send it back to the pond.

I am not so sure I like the idea of the valve in the bottom of the pond though. If you are keeping the pond running year round, it would not freeze anyway. In the pond it is an obstuction that koi can get injured on.
    I don't know that I can run the water year round. It gets pretty cold here....we just got 8 inches of snow today! The problem is the second chamber. The way it works, it has an inlet at the top which has a spraybar, then 4 outlets and a lip. Here's a picture of it. I can't change this part as my wife doesn't want to waste this. We spent around $125 on it last spring, and she doesn't want it to go to waste. I planned on putting a possible airpump near it with airstones on the bottom to aerate the bacteria.

This is the inside of it. At the top of the picture on the left side is the 1 1/2 inch inlet with threading. THe bar across is a spraybar. I have baskets with bio-balls that fit in-between those rails, but I plan on taking it all out and putting pvc shavings in it (in some sort of netting). Then, the water exits via gravity out the four openings. You can see them in the second picture. What is the point of having the pump AFTER the bio? In order to not lose any gph?

Money or no money, that's a nice pond you've got there! Your DIY filter setup looks great as well...

Jumbo
    Looks to me like it ought to work just fine Ethan. I also would like to see the valve out side but it will work inside. You can always make an extension handle for it.

Jumbo
    I'll be the monkey wrench.

Even with the horrible constriction of the pump's output by the 1 1/2"' feed line/spray bar the pump will still pump more water than your little filter can handle.

Start cuttin Ethan.

First, if you're going to do an upgrade you might as well maximize your new equipment.

The pump WILL NOT pump 4200gph if you make it draw through a 1 1/2" suction line. The pump WILL NOT pump 4200 gph if you try to squirt your water through 1 1/2" pipe either. You will increase pressure. You won't flow 4200. WAG? around 2400. You coulda bought a much smaller pump to get the same results unless you...use bigger pipe, at least 2", go for 3, on the output side. Try to bring your 4" feed all the way to the pump.

Second, you can improve your old equipment.

Hole saw and jig saw/sawzall maybe? Make a new spray bar. Remove the original and drill a new hole. Be creative when it comes to using a hole saw with nothing to hold the centering bit. The actual spray bar is easy, even if it takes you a couple tries. Get out your sawzall and cut open the waterfall end, maybe making two rectangular holes leaving a center piece of the original plastic.

Third, don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Your waterfall filter has a rudimentary provision to drain off settled waste from below the media. If you can keep this a functioning mode by keeping your new medai elevated from the plastic bottom you will be ahead in your efforts to create a user freindly system. Do daily maintanence, pull valves to waste, and weekly cleaning, backflushing and water change.

Fourth, figure out a method to supply water safely.

I don't remember reading if you were on a well. If you're using city water you will probably need a better procedure for treating incoming water. If you're using a well, you can rig up a Hudson valve, from Tractor Supply, with disconnects for the hose, from Tractor Supply, and keep the hose hooked up, mainting water level, except when you need to use it somewhere else. Big load off when you have to go help out as Family Guy. This saves a lot of trouble.

Take care.
    Mickey the windowman, the world is a very big place.

Aquitori says Keokoi says "even sun shines on dogs ass..." so I say... Buy Ugly Early.

Quote Originally Posted by mitten View Post

Even with the horrible constriction of the pump's output by the 1 1/2"' feed line/spray bar the pump will still pump more water than your little filter can handle.

Start cuttin Ethan.

First, if you're going to do an upgrade you might as well maximize your new equipment.

The pump WILL NOT pump 4200gph if you make it draw through a 1 1/2" suction line. The pump WILL NOT pump 4200 gph if you try to squirt your water through 1 1/2" pipe either. You will increase pressure. You won't flow 4200. WAG? around 2400. You coulda bought a much smaller pump to get the same results unless you...use bigger pipe, at least 2", go for 3, on the output side. Try to bring your 4" feed all the way to the pump.

Hole saw and jig saw/sawzall maybe? Make a new spray bar. Remove the original and drill a new hole. Be creative when it comes to using a hole saw with nothing to hold the centering bit. The actual spray bar is easy, even if it takes you a couple tries. Get out your sawzall and cut open the waterfall end, maybe making two rectangular holes leaving a center piece of the original plastic.

Your waterfall filter has a rudimentary provision to drain off settled waste from below the media. If you can keep this a functioning mode by keeping your new medai elevated from the plastic bottom you will be ahead in your efforts to create a user freindly system. Do daily maintanence, pull valves to waste, and weekly cleaning, backflushing and water change.

I don't remember reading if you were on a well. If you're using city water you will probably need a better procedure for treating incoming water. If you're using a well, you can rig up a Hudson valve, from Tractor Supply, with disconnects for the hose, from Tractor Supply, and keep the hose hooked up, mainting water level, except when you need to use it somewhere else. Big load off when you have to go help out as Family Guy. This saves a lot of trouble.

Take care.
    Mickey,

those are some great ideas. I plan on having a 4 inch line taper down to a 2 inch feed for my sequence pump. It has a 2 inch intake. THis is a great idea regarding the spraybar. What if I use the 1 1/2 inch outlet on the sequence, which it says will pump 4200 gph, and immediately enlarge the PVC coming off of it to 3 or 4 inches...run that to my filterfalls, and make the new spraybar using 3 or 4 inch pvc? Would there be any reason to go above 3" pvc? I am trying to do this as well as possible while spending as little as possible.

Ethan

Start cuttin Ethan.

Take care.
    For water changes, I was planning on just doing 10-15% every two weeks. The closest hose I have is 125 feet away, so I have to run a lot of hose to get water to the pond. No well water.

EThan

Jumbo
    Keeping the 4" to 2" reducer, Lowe's, as close to the pump's inlet as possible is best. Are you adding a union? If not at least get a Fernco so that you can yank pump when needed without cutting plumbing. Hint: 4" fernco is 6 or 8 bucks, 2" fernco is 4 to 6 bucks. Run 4" pipe to Fernco to 4 X 2 reducer bushing to male 2" to inlet on a 750. Coming out do the same thing...1 1/2 to 3" Fernco to spray bar.

3" spray bar is good. Remember you have to keep this little tub in one piece or your wife will bean you with a koi net like Gabby bops Joseph MBA.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    To start off with, I have no money. Well, I have a little. I work at a library.

I would like to put as little money into this as possible while maintaining at least some good water quality until I come into more money.

Thoughts?

Ethan
    Rob the Library?

Jumbo
    Ethan-

Kicking up your filtration's efficiency is most easily accomplished by keeping it free of Poop and Glarf. Sorry to throw the jargon around but you might as well hear it from me. To accomplish this level of cleanliness use valves drawing water from all of the places where waste can settle or is trapped. This requires water use and replenishment, thus the discussion about the autofills making your life easier.

If you are using media that will trap said Poop and Glarf your maintanence routines will be focused on dumping it daily or at least regularly, otherwise all of the water for your fish runs through The Shit Ball every time it goes through the filter.

Tech talk is so exhausting.

Jumbo
    Ethan-

Tech talk is so exhausting.
    Yes, but it sure beats doing something wrong and wishing you had done it different.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast