Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Static kaldnes filter

DIY Static kaldnes filter

When I got my Nexus, it came with that crappy foam block which I used for a couple of months. Cleaning that thing was a horrible experience that make pond keeping not much fun. Then they came out with the EAzy. I decided I could probably build one that works just as well for not much money. I located a 15 gallon barrel that is nearly the exact same size as the EAzy. I drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom and sides, half way up. I made a slotted stand pipe out of 4" PVC. The shop where I work made me a stainless steel stand for the barrel to sit on. There is an air ring in the bottom of the barrel with teensy holes drilled in it. The air like is used for cleaning.

Here's how it works. The water enters the center chamber of the nexus where this filter is located. The water flow up through the holes in the filter, and into the Kaldnes bed. Then the water goes through the slotted pipe and into the outer chamber of the Nexus where bio filtration takes place. Simple!

Cleaning is easy. During normal operation, the air pump supplies air to the kaldnes in the outer chamber of the nexus. When I want to clean the static filter, I first turn off the pump. then I slide a 3" pipe into the center of the 4" pipe and seal it off at the bottom (it is fit into the opening of the nexus). Then turn off the air supplying the k1 in the outer ring, and turn the air on to the static kaldnes bed. This heavy aeration flushes all the collected gunk out of the kaldnes and into the water that surrounds the filter. After cleaning, I drain the center chamber and return the nexus to normal operation. I usually let the K1 boil for 5 or 10 minutes, or however long it takes to feed the fish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Static kaldnes filter-p7280002-small-.jpg   DIY Static kaldnes filter-p7280001-small-.jpg   DIY Static kaldnes filter-p7280003-small-.jpg   DIY Static kaldnes filter-p7280005-small-.jpg  

Hmmmm....are the pictures showing up? For some reason, I can't see them.

OK, I'll assume that the pictures are there.

I made another static kaldnes filter to go inside this undersized vortex tank I got on Ebay. It would actually work as well or even better inside a 55 gallon barrel. This one is suspended by a stainless frame on top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Static kaldnes filter-cimg0998-small-.jpg  

Jumbo
    Neat DIY projects Cindy.

Jumbo
    Carolina-

Cleaning process involves lowering the water level in the tank after shutting down the pump and before aerating the static media, right? Otherwise, LaCrud gets bubbled and can travel through the slotted 4" pipe to the next step of filtration.

Nifty work on these filters and all your projects.

The water level is left full. the crud can't go thru the slotted pipe because there is a 3" pipe inside of it blocking the entrance to the nexus. The neat thing is, a 3" pipe slides snugly inside the the opening to the outer chamber so nothing gets past it. On the ones inside the tank, I have a 4" knife valve in between the two tanks. Once I finish cleaning and draining the first barrel, I let a little water from the second barrel flow back thru the connecting line to rinse anything in there back into the 1st barrel.

Nisai
    nice,
    thank you for post it.

Quote Originally Posted by jckoi View Post
    nice,
    thank you for post it.
    you're welcome. If you have any questions or want more pictures, please let me know. I'll do my best to help. I do plan to build another one of these filter systems this spring using two 55 gallon barrels. I am going to take very detailed clear pictures of that build so it may be easier to understand.

Tosai

need more detail pictures

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    you're welcome. If you have any questions or want more pictures, please let me know. I'll do my best to help. I do plan to build another one of these filter systems this spring using two 55 gallon barrels. I am going to take very detailed clear pictures of that build so it may be easier to understand.
    Hi Carolina, would you mind send more detailed clear pictures as you said since I'm very newbie in Koi World so there are many things I don't understand clearly.
    I just built my pond and use K1 in my 3rd chamber.
    The problem is when I aerating the chamber so the K1 jump up and down and sucked by outlet pipes that supply water to next chamber. I use net in the mouth of pipe so K1 can't enter next chamber but it block water so the water level in the next chamber is much lower than K1 chamber and make me stop the pump from dry.

Hope I can learn from your method

rgds,
    teddy

Good morning Teddy. Rather than netting your outlet pipe, use a slotted pipe. You can either make one by taking a 4" pipe and cutting lots of slots in it with a saw, or you can buy them from Aquatic Eco systems. I think you may also be able to get them pre-made from a well driller (they are used as well screens). That way you can get lots of water flowing thru the pipe but the K1 has to stay in the correct chamber.

What size pump are you using and where is it located in your system? When you have 3 barrels in a line and the water gravity flows between them, the water level in the first barrel will be much higher than the level in the last barrel. this is known as "draw-down". There is a very good explaination of draw down and gravity feeding here: http://koishack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8099

hope that helps. If not....I'll see what else I can come up with for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast