Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a quick question on cement block ponds.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    Well...it's currently a black liner epdm pond. I like epdm and the effect is has on sumi...so I would like to keep that. The problem with pouring cement is the permits involved. My town requires no permit to build a fish pond...but to pour cement and make a permanent structure...you need a permit. I have dealt with the town before for permits...and they are a major pain in the a$$. So, without pouring concrete...what can I do to fix this pond. Hide the liner..and make it more pleasing to the eye?
    Would you like to fill with water to top of block ? How deep is the pond from top of block ? How cold does it get during the winter ? Would you be happy with edges finished in wood as my overwintering pond is ? that is another pond on my web site
    Regards
    Eugene

Jumbo
    Doing it right is a lot better and easier, but will cost more and this method avoids the need for a permit, being effective for the small height you are building.

Trying to find the slag in bulk, delivered, may be wise. Compact the base well before starting the wall, even if you have to hand tamp it. Remember that your efforts are meant to thwart gravity's effect by moving everything to where gravity would force it, before gravity gets to act on it. Add to your thinking the force of the water and you will see why there is rebar.

The compactor/vibrator tamps the slag within the block's cells. Slag locks together really well. If you are going to use adhesive to glue the blocks you might as well give the adhesive a day or two to cure before filling with slag and vibing it. Two course of cells can be done at once, yep.

Pay attention to where the runoff is in your yard. Though the wall will be locked together, erosion will take it apart immediately. Make certain that no surface water stands against or runs along the wall in storms. Corrections can be made with sod. Check your gutters. Check your sump pump outlets.

All said, if you are sure this is the pond size and placement you have got to get a price on concrete. Talk to real contractors. Be able to describe a concrete collar, know dimensions and height of the wall, tell em about how the liner goes. Better yet, draw it. Can't draw? Find a 14 year old geek. The contractor will know about the real need for a permit. Sneaky may be OK, may not. No contractors in the pond club? Rotary? Where you eat breakfast everyday? Some of us aren't dirty which makes it confusing. Use the yellow pages only if you have to, but talk to a couple.
    Mickey the windowman, the world is a very big place.

Aquitori says Keokoi says "even sun shines on dogs ass..." so I say... Buy Ugly Early.

Thanks for all the help. I pretty much like where it is and the all stone walls (no wood). I am eventually going to use rocks and mulch around it and do some planting to make it look softer on the edges. It's just leveling it was really difficult last time. Never seemed to get it right even though I used a line level. I would not mind being able to fill it to the top...but it better be really secure for that. Don't need a mishap like last time. I have been looking at that vibrator thing...looks like it's hard to find near me (to rent)...maybe I will try hand tamping everything. I would like to have the concrete wall leveled and built by a pro...but I am new in this part of town. If I try without a permit...don't know if the neighbors are all cool or not. I have time since the pond is still frozen anyway...but I want to have some ideas before spring comes. It is the leveling that was really daunting. I would think it was level and fine...wrap the liner over...fill it up..and 1 spot is 2-3 inches higher than another. I thought the line level would make it easy....but definitely not. This is what I get for having to rush...but the choice wasn't mine. Hopefully I can make it right this spring.

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Just for fun, I emailed a contractor I know. Figured I'd get a price on laying a concrete collar and cementing that wall properly. I have visions of me covered in dirt, with 50 cuts on my hands...and it still coming out crappy!!! Hopefully..if the price is right, I'll let someone else sweat for a change. My wife essentially gets cheap when the project is mine....you can do it yourself..you love a project!! No...No I certainly do not!!! It would actually be funnier if I knew how to do anything construction-wise...but I pretty much make it up as I go along. This time..I bit off more than I could chew!!!

You do have a project on your hands! I'll leave it to Mick & others to advise on the construction.

I do not like the aesthetics of a bare, aboveground wall. A finish of stone looks good, but is relatively expensive. If you were in my area, I would suggest planting climbing fig every couple of feet along the base of the wall. It would cover the wall in a year, creating a leafy green exterior. It would have to be trimmed regularly, but the look would be soft and still fit the with the formal rectangle shape. A small shrub could cover-up the wall, but would grow too wide for easy all-around viewing. In your area, I'm thinking a small-leaved evergreen ivy could have a like effect. Some ivy will not climb, and not all are evergreen. If you like the idea, check with a local nurseryman for the type of ivy that would work. ...The discount center garden departments are not a good place for that type of information. ... just a thought.

Thanks Mike...once I am done with the construction, then I am going to concentrate on planting to soften the edges. I will probably do some mulch or white rocks around as well. The problem was...winter was approaching..I was moving and time was of the essence. I just needed something to safely hold and over-winter my koi. This season coming up will be about perfecting the construction and beautifying everything.
    I also have to watch what I plant...I have 2 dogs and don't want any plants that could harm them. Never know when they could try to eat something they shouldn't!!

I agree with Mike. Vegetation would fix your problem without fussing with a construction project. Even if you had a nice stone top on the wall, it's still too stark and industrial. Remove the posters, figurines and bamboo screen. Bring in a truck load of good compost or top soil and put plantings in on all four sides. Dense compact things in the front and taller open plants across the back. Climbing fig or something similar would look great and you could further break up the lines with a variety of perennial shrubs plus some herbaceous stuff for the summer.

-steveh o p

I like the idea of no construction...so the planting sounds good. The bamboo fence is to hide the filters...but I can always put a nice new one there...that one is old. The main problem then, is hiding the liner. I have that beige liner to cover the black epdm. It really doesn't look too professional. What can I do to hide that black liner that will look better?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12