Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Bakki Showers & Maintenance

Bakki Showers & Maintenance

I would like to know from other Bakki Shower users if they have had any problems, if they have had to do any maintenance or tear downs of the trays due to failure of trays or debre collecting in the bottom tray or any tray?

Water feeding my Bakki first enters a large skimmer where it goes through a filter pad, then to a pump with leaf basket, then to the Bakki. Strands of algae can get through. This algae gets caught on the media (BH), where it decomposes slowly. So far I have not observed any significant quantity making it beyond the first tray. The amount in the top tray is great enough that I check it weekly and rinse off any pieces of media that have gathered much. On two occasions I have taken out all of the top tray media to rinse it off. Some of the media that looks like it has algae growing on it doesn't... the algae on it comes off readily when swished briskly in a tub of pond water.
    Some of the media exposed to light is substrate for growing algae. (I cover my Bakki with loose ground cloth to prevent leaves and such falling in it.)

Bakki Showers

Thank you Mike. Have you added a modifications to your BS setup? I have always thought that running air stones along the bottom of each BH tray may help but have not. The only concern I have with my setup is how well the US Plastics trays hold up to UV light, and the weight of forced water flow and media over time. This is because the trays are stacked instead of the conventional metal tray separation. Also I was concerned that small bits of media might accumulate in the bottom tray at least up to the top of the discharge flange in the bottom tray and require cleaning. My unit is still covered with burlap for the winter, I left it running but if our winters continue to be warmer then normal I will pull the burlap off and inspect the trays conditions. I started this thread to get some continuous feedback regarding the use of Bakki showers and hope you will continue to chim in and other too.

I do not understand the airstone concept, but I've not seen your arrangement. Counter-current air flow is an enclosed trickle tower technique to keep high oxygenation and gassing-off in an enclosed column, such as the ones JR has posted several places. Airstones would have no use in a Bakki as designed by Momotaro, or the counterparts assembled from milk crates, like the oyster shell crates seen in some Japanese greenhouse photos. The entire bottom of each tray is open grillwork (except the bottom tray on my arrangement). Water falls straight through and is exposed to fresh air constantly.

I did not want my Bakki next to the pond. So, the return needed to be either a stream for return at surface level, or a pipe leading to a return below the water surface. I elected to have the piped return. As a result, the bottom tray has a solid bottom with two 4" pipes that return to the pond by gravity. The pipes rise into the bottom tray almost a half-inch, so there is a nearly half-inch deep area that holds water constantly. The BH media in the bottom tray is submerged to that extent. A small amount of sediment build-up occurs, but not much. The constant water flow seems to keep it at a low level. I would prefer that nothing build up in the bottom tray, but the leaves that blow into the Bakki (despite the loose cover) are more of a concern.

Before the Bakki-kichi jump on me for suggesting they are not the ultimate perfect filter (they are not, IMO), I like having the Bakki. I have not kept scientific data etc to support my thinking, but I do believe overall water quality improves through use of different sorts of filtration in tandem. Whether it is a Bakki, a trickle tower or similar arrangement, I think it good to have such a type of filter in combination with other sorts. The Bakki is easy to use in my climate and situation, so I think I'll always have one. I would not use one in my circumstance, however, without mechanical pre-filtration of some sort. I get far too much algae glarf to run water directly over the media.... In fact, last weekend I began a bit of an experiment. I laid a single layer of matting (skimmer debris mat, not the Jap mat)on top of the BH in the top tray. I want to see if I can keep algae glarf from fouling the BH. The mat would be easier to clean and I would disturb the BH bacteria less. Definitely not the recommended approach of Maeda-san.

When I first saw the Bakki trays, I made some changes and had some custom built for my needs. I left a 1/2 inch stainless steel lip around each bottom and then cut the ceiling grid white plastic grating to size. I have never had a collection of debris problem. I have the old style BH which i occassionally take out and break open to observe and smell and have had nothing but good luck with it.

The use of air stones in a bakki would seem redundant to me unless one needed to enclose the filter for temperature protection or to control splashing in which case you limited it's ability to breathe. I have used air stones in the bottom of my trickle tower for close to 25 years now and it does make a big difference. In my filtration seminars I use the example for car nuts that it's similar in it's effectiveness to a supercharger on a engine.

My bakki is going on it's 4th year

I also used a bakki shower but I also have submerged bacteria house with heavy aeration in separate filter chambers.Both are being fed water directly from the pond.Its been 1 1/2 years now and I dont have any problems.Will try and post some pictures for you.Cheers!

Nisai
    please post some pictures,
    will like to see it,
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jckoi View Post
    please post some pictures,
    will like to see it,
    thanks
    Managed to take some pictures of my Bakki shower(homemade) and filters with BH under heavy areation.My pond size is 20'X16'X4' with 200kg of BH.Will be raising the pond end of the month to 7ft deep as current 4ft not deep enough.Changing to a 4tier S/Steel Bakki shower and adding 130kg BH and blowing another big hole in the wallet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bakki Showers & Maintenance-pond-mar07-002.jpg   Bakki Showers & Maintenance-pond-mar07-003.jpg   Bakki Showers & Maintenance-pond-mar07-001.jpg   Bakki Showers & Maintenance-pond-mar07-004.jpg  

MCA
    http://www.koipondfiltration.com/trickle%20tower.htm

On Steve's shower he lets the water settle out in a tank at the bottom. This minimizes stuff going to the pond.