Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue barrels

Blue barrels

So I know many of you use these for filters and such but until yesterday I have never been able to find anybody willing to give them up. So yesterday I was at my favorite gas station (which is under new management) getting my car washed when I saw the new manager dragging a blue barrel out of the wash. So I stopped and asked what he was going to do with it and he said he was going to trash it. I asked if I could have it and he said sure no problem and that he would just put them on the side of the building for me and I can have as many as I want. Of course they will need to be cleaned real good to get all the car wash soap out but hey free barrels are free barrels.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Jim

They're always nice to use. They're very versatile and can be configured in many ways. Are you planning to put them in parallel or in series?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by koiczar View Post
    Jim

They're always nice to use. They're very versatile and can be configured in many ways. Are you planning to put them in parallel or in series?

Mike
    LOL I'm not sure I'm just glad to finally have a source for them. I suspect series though.
    Koi-Unit
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Jim

The reason for my asking is a concern for gph being sent through when in series. If, say, for example, you set up six, two sets of three, you could still use one pump but double the flow from/to the pond.Your filter capacity would be greatly increased. I don't know but space may be a concern for you but it sure would be a better system.

Mike

Space is no concern. In fact I'm trying to figure out a way to talk the county into letting me have a mud pond . That is a good idea with the barrels. 4 and 4 might even work better. I've come to the realization that you can never have enough filtration.
    Koi-Unit
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Be careful with putting too many in series. You'll have draw down from one barrel to the next. Even if you use 4" pipe, I wouldn't put more than three in series. With 4" pipe you get a little more than 3000gph per inch of drawdown.

That means with 3 barrels you'll have a minimum of 3" drop from your pond to the last barrel if your flowing about 3000gph thru it.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dcny View Post
    Be careful with putting too many in series. You'll have draw down from one barrel to the next. Even if you use 4" pipe, I wouldn't put more than three in series. With 4" pipe you get a little more than 3000gph per inch of drawdown.

That means with 3 barrels you'll have a minimum of 3" drop from your pond to the last barrel if your flowing about 3000gph thru it.

-Dan
    I wouldn't suggest trying to flow that much water through 50 gal drums. That is why I suggested two sets of three (Iagree with DCNY - 4 is too many for draw-down purposes). My recommendation would be to flow no more than 1500 gph otherwise you're simply not getting any dwell time within the filters for the bacteria to do their job. You'll still get your 3000gph but within 2 systems, not one. You'll also be cleaning the filter material more often than necessary rather than simply draining waste from the bottoms!

Mike

Makes sense. Thanks guys .
    Koi-Unit
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Sansai
    More than two barrells in a series is a waste of a tank. Prefilter with one barrel and bio with the second. Three sets of two would be much better than two sets of three.
    Prefiltration or static filtering of solids has a speed limit that is related to tank diameter. The narrower the tank the less filtering can be done the faster water travels through it.
    Biofiltration on the other hand has no speed limit. The conversion takes place instantaniously so water can be run through the tank at much higher rates. After the first bio barrell there isn't much for the next barrel in the series to do making it less efficient.
    I like to prefilter before the pump and biofilter after the pump with gravity flow back to the pond. Even with pump last systems it's less drop from a series of two than three or four making for a much better use of barrell space.
    Bio barrels in series are restricted by the speed limit of the first prefiltration barrel in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by kent wallace View Post
    After the first bio barrell there isn't much for the next barrel in the series to do making it less efficient.
    Kent,
    Maybe less efficient but better water quality. In my system I will have back to back bio filters.......3X2.
    Is not the name of the game water quality?
    I will also use 3 different types of media...K-1, Kontac and BeeCell in a 40-40-10 mix.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast