Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Help With New Pump Flow Rates

Jumbo

Help With New Pump Flow Rates

I need to add a pump to my new indoor pond and am not sure about flow rates. I would like some help sizing this new pump.

How much flow can a waterway pool skimmer with a 8" weir and 3" line handle?

What is the optium flow rate for a 4 tray Baki type shower with lava rock? Each tray will be 1 foot wide by 4 feet long.

What is the optium flow rate for two 4" bottom drains going into a 4 foot wide 500 gal vortex filter?

What is the optium flow rate for three-2" TPRs?

Thank you much.

Tategoi
    Outstanding, you have most of the pond info that will help you properly select a pump. Most folks just go out and buy a big pump. Stands to reason that a bigger pump will make the koi healthier, doesnít it?

As Steve C continually points out, all the components in a pond are interdependent parts of a system, from the number and even the sex of the koi down to the size of skimmer weir. If the pond is designed well, the system will reach synergy, if not money and possibly health can be deminished.

Some items, Such as maximum fish load, pond designers can determine after the pond is designed. Others, such as the pump/s have to be determined when the job itís to do is understood.

I usually allow about 1000gph for an 8Ē weir. The 3Ē line wonít have a great impact on that flow. I assume youíre using gravity flow and when we get into it, you will understand why.

The total flow rate is determined by the size of the pond and all accessories (Filters, etc.).

I like to aim for 100% pond turnover of 1.5 to 3 hours with larger ponds leaning toward the 3 hour mark. My personal interest here is to run a reasonable power consumption and still provide a healthy pond. That will lower the nationís energy consumption and also save you money. Iíve seen ponds with the wrong sized pumps installed where the changeover to the right size would pay for the pump in six to 10 months and then continue to save money for the life of the new pump.

With that in mind, the 4Ē lines can deliver up to 4800 GPH in gravity flow. I doubt your pond will exceed the capabilities of the total of these 3 gravity flow lines.

I donít pay a lot of attention to Bakki showers as I prefer trickle tower because they are so easy to assemble and in reality, they do the same thing as far as Iím concerned. Not to say they donít work well; they both do. Iím certain there are a number of people on here that can answer that for you.

Need some information to move forward.

How big is your pond?

What is the length and size of each independent line and the length of each line feeding branch lines? Include the fittings (elbows, straight couplers, type of valves, etc) in each of these lines.

What is the maximum exit height of the water leaving the pump over the surface of the water in the sump?

Get your hands on a pipe flow chart that includes a velocity (in fps) column, a friction loss column in psi and a friction loss column i, feet of water column. Then get an equivalent friction loss in fittings chart. That will give you the equivalent loss of a particular fitting that you will add to the line length of the line itís installed in.

I usually use the flow charts at http://www.ewing1.com/general/ews_resources.htm#guides. Then click on Flow Velocity & Friction Loss (Sch 40) and Friction Loss Chart. Look at them a little so you get an idea of their contents; dont worry if they seem like too much info, itís fairly simple when you actually go through it..

I donít know your background so all this may put you off but as you go through it you will see itís actually simple and straight forward.

I will be traveling on and off for a few weeks so if you need assistance, Steve Childers is familiar with this process. If he doesnít pick up on this thread you can contact him, if Iím not getting back in a reasonable time.

By the way, how big is your pond going to be. If it doesnít need 4Ē drain lines itís better to install smaller lines so there wonít be as much debris depositing in the line. If the pipe is already down, donít worry.

Tategoi
    You can find Steve Childers (Steve C) on the NI board

Jumbo
    Rich, I have been trying to get ahold of you for a while. I lost your phone number and e-mail. Will you call me please at 541-362-3744 or e-mail me please at [email protected]
    Thanks.

Jumbo
    I ended up going with a 6,000 GPH pump Rich. It worked out good, not suckinjg the skimmer dry or over flowing the shower. The pond ended up at 6,700 gal. Pictures at
    http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/genera...door-pond.html