Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Polyurea sprayed in a dirt hole on geo-textile fabric

Polyurea sprayed in a dirt hole on geo-textile fabric

Polyurea on geotextile in a dirt hole.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let the great debate start. Does anyone have a Polyurea sprayed pond where its sprayed right in the hole? On geotextile fabric, on slurry concrete or right on the dirt itself? I fully understand and believe it should be a sealant on a concrete structure (block/poured/gunite) But thousands of ponds have been built using liners on dirt and the water holds the liner in place. And polyurea is far more durable and certainly wont puncture like a liner would. If you have a pond like this lets hear about it or see it. If your thinking about it lets weigh it out. If your completely against it, sound off.

MIke C
    My wife say its my Koi or her. Im sure gonna miss her.

Tategoi
    It's done a lot. If you want an extremely strong liner without any folds it's the way to go but it's not cheap.

Why don't you want a gunnite, etc. pond with the polyurea as a coating. That's the best way. And don't pay attention to those folks who say other coatings are as reliable, they're not.

There is a trade off in long term reliability when choosing the cheaper rout.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich L View Post
    It's done a lot. If you want an extremely strong liner without any folds it's the way to go but it's not cheap.

Why don't you want a gunnite, etc. pond with the polyurea as a coating. That's the best way. And don't pay attention to those folks who say other coatings are as reliable, they're not.

There is a trade off in long term reliability when choosing the cheaper rout.
    It will probobly be on block. Gunite is too much $$$$ for me. My wife wants to kill me for what Im spending now and I called in allot of favors from the Koi Kichi. Im getting stuff for cheaper than the norm. But its still going to be like $12,000 before landscaping. And I already had one fully equipt Nexus with Answer 410.

Fry
    . I spray it on geo -textile fabric, on styrofoam, on styrofoam "blocks" that are filled with concrete, on gunite,concrete, fiberglass and maybe I'll find other surfaces to apply it to. It truely is remarkable and will probably last longer than me! Unless you have a huge pond most applicators will charge around $12 per square ft. Skip.
    Last edited by jnorth; 05-12-2007 at 05:58 PM. Reason: no free advertising

Jumbo
    I'll add this one in case there is anyone around here nutty about orange. Aquatic Coatings - Specializing In Polyurea Spray Elastomer

Quote Originally Posted by Upscale View Post
    . I spray it on geo -textile fabric, on styrofoam, on styrofoam "blocks" that are filled with concrete, on gunite,concrete, fiberglass and maybe I'll find other surfaces to apply it to. It truely is remarkable and will probably last longer than me! Unless you have a huge pond most applicators will charge around $12 per square ft. Skip.
    For a koi pond I do not think that it is a good idea the ground temperature under a pond is great for stabelizing water temperatures . So if you do spray it should be sides onley , otherwise the pond will gain in temperture during the summer and be colder during the winter . Either can kill fish
    Regards
    Eugene

Fry

I don't quite follow you.

Polyurea must be applied as a continuous and seamless containment "bowl". Sides and bottom. Since it is non toxic to fish and fish adapt to their environment, There is nothing temp. wise to hurt them. Maybe I just don't get what you were saying.

Tategoi
    Polyurea is nt an effective insulator so it won't restrick heat from the ground to the pond & vice versa.

However it's possible to put insulation board on the sides to a point below the frost line to slow the loss of heat in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Upscale View Post
    Polyurea must be applied as a continuous and seamless containment "bowl". Sides and bottom. Since it is non toxic to fish and fish adapt to their environment, There is nothing temp. wise to hurt them. Maybe I just don't get what you were saying.
    You are quite right I was thinking of a company that tried spraying a type of insulation foam . Polyora is not sprayed on thick enough to make any diffrence as to heat . I have not even seen one and not likely to around here because of the price.
    Regards
    Eugene

Fry
    someday somebody will introduce polyurea to your area. It's expensive but there are lots of people who want this long term solution. By the way, my styrofoam sided ponds all have dirt or sand bottoms that are vortexed down to the drain with a geotextile backing. Skip.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast