Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pond Ideas

Tosai

Pond Ideas

Ive got a pond thats 70' x 70' x 7' deep. it has a very light inflow from a tiny creek. Sometimes theres no flow. It was a man made pond that was put in b4 i moved here. The outflow was going into the woods to a small swampy area but has been damed now. It has a ton of sunfish, some bass, a couple bullhead that I havnt seen this year and a pike. It is loaded with frogs which tend to stay in the swampy area more than the pond but are there still. It has no filtration or pumps other then the natural plants and light inflow from the creek. The fish survive year round even while the pond is frozen. Would this pond be a good koi pond if cleared out of its current inhabitants? Would I need better filtration? Any other ideas?

I would definitely stock a dozen or so of domestic kois as it is to see how it turns out 12 mons from now.

Steve

It has no filtration or pumps other then the natural plants and light inflow from the creek. The fish survive year round even while the pond is frozen. Would this pond be a good koi pond if cleared out of its current inhabitants? Would I need better filtration? Any other ideas?[/quote]

It sounds like a great pond for koi . First you must drain comletely and possibly dredge it . Some lime and let the air at it would help in keeeping paresites down . If you can not drain all the water out then use swimming pool chlorine to dispose of unwanted fish .
    Regards
    Eugene

Tosai

Domestic Koi

Would I be able to leave the existing fish in the pond if I added a dozen domestic koi.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostaw84 View Post
    Would I be able to leave the existing fish in the pond if I added a dozen domestic koi.
    You could but if you did you are not likely to have any young baby koi fish survive
    Regards
    Eugene

See if you can add some aeration, perhaps from a windmill or something. In addition to the oxygenation benefits, it'll also provide some water movement.

Quote Originally Posted by dcny View Post
    See if you can add some aeration, perhaps from a windmill or something. In addition to the oxygenation benefits, it'll also provide some water movement.
    The problem with windmills is that when you most need oxygenation at night or hot stll day they do not work neither is there much supply especially if the pond is deep .
    Here is what I do ;
    Air Stones and Oxegenationfor Your Pond CONSTRUCTION
    Regards
    Eugene

Tosai

Waterfalls???

How would a waterfall effect it. Would it add enough movement and h2o if it was big enough. If so how big is big enough?

took my kids to pick cherry over the weekend and saw a huge natural pond. also saw a windmill was running the aeration. it looks fine. lots of blowing bubbles... I guess the issue would be when there is no wind

Steve

Tosai

both?

What would be wrong with adding both Aawindmil and airstones? And I was still wondering about the waterfall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast