Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Pond Liner Question

Smile Pond Liner Question

Hello,

I'm new to pond building, but have some recently gained experience in brick-laying, mortaring, and pvc glueing...

My pond's cement floor has cured for 30 days and I am ready to line/waterproof it. I purchased enough pond armor to do the job, but am curious about the cement mixture I should use to fill in holes and give it a smooth texture before I apply the pond armor. Should I just use the same mortar mix I used between my cinderblocks? Or is there a better alternative out there?

My pond pics are located on my website at http://hoggdogg.com/koi Thanks in advance for your help!

~Ryan H.

[quote=rshogg;82539]Hello,

I'm new to pond building, but have some recently gained experience in brick-laying, mortaring, and pvc glueing...

My pond's cement floor has cured for 30 days and I am ready to line/waterproof it. I purchased enough pond armor to do the job, but am curious about the cement mixture I should use to fill in holes and give it a smooth texture before I apply the pond armor. Should I just use the same mortar mix I used between my cinderblocks? Or is there a better alternative out there?

You will have to parge your pond , I contacted a building supply who sold me the ingredients for parging it was a mortar mix with extra cemment added and a white parging compound as well as Albitol which is a cemmment sealer I used about 3 gal of that mixed with water . After seven years no problems
    Regards
    Eugene

Tosai
    Hi,

This is a VERY timely thread. I am also a "newbie". I am still in the planning/design stage (currently working on filtration layouts/alternatives and will be posting questions a little later) but I've pretty much decided to go with cement/gunnite, using Pond Armour as a sealant/liner.

I'm curious as to the 30 day curing period. Is this a minimum or maximum recommended cure time before sealing? I want to make sure that I factor the right amount of time in my build plans. I was thinking more along the lines of a few days, or maybe a week or so. If I will need plan for more cure time, that would be good to know sooner, rather than later.

Fry
    i just finished sealing my new pond after shotcrete about 10 days ago. curing for shotcrete is complete in 5-7 days, depending on weather. however, let me say this. although the pond armour product works great, the customer service is downright atrocious. i had a problem where the grey color they sent does not even come close to a grey color (in reality it is white). unfortunately, i was not there for the application and was shocked to see the actual color when i returned home. i contacted the company and complained and the person chose to argue and bicker about who's fault it was rather then work to fix a solution. i even offered to purchase (at a discount) black paint to fix they problem they created. they basically told me to pound sand and that they would give me any type of discount. worst customer relations i have ever experienced. lesson learned. will never use that companies product again.

Tosai
    rshogg,
    You can fill bug holes with a hydraulic cement, but you should make sure to use a good bonding agent prior to application. If you plan to render the whole surface, again use a good bonding agent and make sure the render is thick enough to not flake. You might also consider adding fibers like Aramid to the concrete as a strengthening agent. Typically, renders do not have a ton of strength because they are essentially all sand so you need something else to help its resistance to cracks. That render would also have to cure out properly before you apply any coating too.
    Butch
    Pond Armor

Sansai
    CBR

Ever heard of the saying haste makes waste? The recomended curing time is there for your protection. Anything less, and you subject yourself to problems with the lining of your choice. You have to let the concrete off gas. IF you do not allow the proper time, you will have blistering at best, cracking and mass delamination or even worse. Then you will have a real mess to clean up, and then reseal.

The 30 days is not meant as a suggestion only. It is a recomendation for success. Your pond will be your highlight of your property for many years to come. Why not wait the proper 30 days to have the successful installation?

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by dOHd View Post
    CBR

Ever heard of the saying haste makes waste? The recomended curing time is there for your protection. Anything less, and you subject yourself to problems with the lining of your choice. You have to let the concrete off gas. IF you do not allow the proper time, you will have blistering at best, cracking and mass delamination or even worse. Then you will have a real mess to clean up, and then reseal.

The 30 days is not meant as a suggestion only. It is a recomendation for success. Your pond will be your highlight of your property for many years to come. Why not wait the proper 30 days to have the successful installation?
    Hi dOHd,

Yes, I have heard of this saying, which is one of the reasons for my question. I am a newbie to this hobbie and looking to build my first pond. I was not aware of this recommendation of a 30 day curing time. I wanted to understand the reasoning behind this (seemingly) protracted length of time for curing. The only reference point that I had to go by was when I had some concrete put in for my backyard, a few years ago. If I remember correctly, it was less than a week, before I was able to use the slab. I was wondering if pouring a pond shell was different from the slab (aside from the vertical walls and additional rebar requirements), now I know.

As I mentioned in my posting, I am in the process of planning a build, and I DO want to make sure that I get things as right as possible the first time out.

Since I missed the spring build window, I have pushed my build date out till late fall. I don't want to be shooting (and curing) concrete in 100+ degree weather. This also gives me additional time to make additional "tweaks" to my design (and build plan). Now that I know that there is a purpose for the extra cure time, I can plan accordingly.

Thanks for your response.

Kind Regards,

CBRS2K

Sansai
    The difference in your slab and the pond is that the slab can continue to off gas while you are using it. The pond, after you seal it can not. Using it and sealing it are two different things.

As for the do it yourselfer, that is why we post, to keep you from makeing serious mistakes. You can learn two ways, making the mistake, or learning from those who have already learned from others mistakes.

While sometimes I do make a blunder, I would rather learn from those that have made the mistakes. Its a lot cheaper.

Best Regards

d