Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Bottom Drains... Help!

Bottom Drains... Help!

Hey Guys,

We've been digging away now, and going to be putting in the bottom drain. Not sure of the gals, but the pond is 12 X 10 and 5'6" deep (6' from floor to top edge, but with capping off the liner with a timber I figure to have 5'6" of water... According to an online calculator it's comes to 4000 gals or so. (the bottom will be benched to the drain, so it's an estimate on the gals as the 5'6" is @ the bottom drain, and I'll probably follow a 1" rise for every 1' on the benching)

I'm planning on running a gravity fed bottom drain (non aerated) to a DIY vortex chamber, then through a DIY mechanical filter and then through a bio chamber. I don't have the dough to get brand name stuff right now, but would like to upgrade as needed in the future, so it would be nice if my plumbing under the water can accomodate upgrades to the filtration down the road...

I'm wondering if I should put in a 3" pipe or a 4" pipe. I've read that if you oversize it, it just becomes a settlement "pipe", but at the same time I want good flow so it can remove solids efficiently. I've got a 3800gph pump and a 2900 gph pump that I can use. (putting one on the bottom drain, and one on a skimmer)

soooo, which size pipe should I run in the bottom drain, and which pump should I use for each circuit??

Stocking for the pond is 8 - 10 tosia (ranging from 4" - 8")

Thanks very much in advance!!

Grant

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by gcuss View Post
    Hey Guys,

We've been digging away now, and going to be putting in the bottom drain. Not sure of the gals, but the pond is 12 X 10 and 5'6" deep (6' from floor to top edge, but with capping off the liner with a timber I figure to have 5'6" of water... According to an online calculator it's comes to 4000 gals or so. (the bottom will be benched to the drain, so it's an estimate on the gals as the 5'6" is @ the bottom drain, and I'll probably follow a 1" rise for every 1' on the benching)

I'm planning on running a gravity fed bottom drain (non aerated) to a DIY vortex chamber, then through a DIY mechanical filter and then through a bio chamber. I don't have the dough to get brand name stuff right now, but would like to upgrade as needed in the future, so it would be nice if my plumbing under the water can accomodate upgrades to the filtration down the road...

I'm wondering if I should put in a 3" pipe or a 4" pipe. I've read that if you oversize it, it just becomes a settlement "pipe", but at the same time I want good flow so it can remove solids efficiently. I've got a 3800gph pump and a 2900 gph pump that I can use. (putting one on the bottom drain, and one on a skimmer)

soooo, which size pipe should I run in the bottom drain, and which pump should I use for each circuit??

Stocking for the pond is 8 - 10 tosia (ranging from 4" - 8")

Thanks very much in advance!!

Grant
    I would use the 3800gph pump on the bottom drain with the 4" pipe. Use the other pump for the skimmer.

Wow, thanks so much for the speedy reply Russell. I'll be off first thing in the morning to HD then and I'll get the 4" pipe. Will use the bigger pump for bottom drain as suggested also.

Have a good night!

Grant

(the fish will be rather pleased to find their home has grown some when I fetch them out of the other pond)

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by gcuss View Post
    Wow, thanks so much for the speedy reply Russell. I'll be off first thing in the morning to HD then and I'll get the 4" pipe. Will use the bigger pump for bottom drain as suggested also.

Have a good night!

Grant

(the fish will be rather pleased to find their home has grown some when I fetch them out of the other pond)
    Thanks, you bring up an interesting point. I firmly believe that Koi change when put in a larger environment. It is as if they know something good has just happened.

Jumbo
    Ditto on what Russ said. 3800 gph is just right for one 4" bottom drain.