Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool Filter....

Tosai

Pool Filter....

Ok, im building a 8000 gal pond as we speak. It will eventually have a waterfall at one end, the skimmer is at the opposite end and 2 bottom drains. all using 3" piping. The pond is 4 ft deep and free form shaped but nothing rediculous, kinda kidney shaped. I have a Sand Filter and pump designed for a 12,000 gal pool. What are the possiblilties of modifying this to work on my pond? I dont have the funds to purchase a 1500-2000+ filter system so much of my pond has been DIY design. I have a friend who has used one on a 6000 gal pond but never really modified it much other than putting lava rock instead of sand. I know this is a big mistake as you cant backwash it well but it seems to be doing fairly well! I also have 4 cubic foot of POLY BEADS similar to whats used in bead filters..but they float... would love to DIY with a design for these beads! I found one diy filter online out of a 55 gal drum laid on its side but i wasnt pleased with the design. Any help would be great!
    thanks!
    John

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by jlbspd View Post
    Ok, im building a 8000 gal pond as we speak. It will eventually have a waterfall at one end, the skimmer is at the opposite end and 2 bottom drains. all using 3" piping. The pond is 4 ft deep and free form shaped but nothing rediculous, kinda kidney shaped. I have a Sand Filter and pump designed for a 12,000 gal pool. What are the possiblilties of modifying this to work on my pond? I dont have the funds to purchase a 1500-2000+ filter system so much of my pond has been DIY design. I have a friend who has used one on a 6000 gal pond but never really modified it much other than putting lava rock instead of sand. I know this is a big mistake as you cant backwash it well but it seems to be doing fairly well! I also have 4 cubic foot of POLY BEADS similar to whats used in bead filters..but they float... would love to DIY with a design for these beads! I found one diy filter online out of a 55 gal drum laid on its side but i wasnt pleased with the design. Any help would be great!
    thanks!
    John
    Hi John, 1st thing I'm going to say is 3" lines from your bottom drains arn't big enough. Go with 4 inch from the bottom drains. Changing the sand filter can be tricky, depending on it's design, and then they usually don't work that well. Better to DIY some barrel filters. You will probably want to stay away from the sand filter pump. It's probably a high pressure pump that will cost you an arm and a leg to run. My old sand filter pump was a one horse that drew 1300 watts. The Sure Pro pumps that I sell will out flow that old pump for only 143 watts. Different pumps for different applications.

Tosai
    Ok.....ill skip the sand filter deal.... i figured so but thought id run it by people one last time. As for the 3" drains.........this was recommended by a well known pond design shop in Florida....... he told me that if i was going to subject the pond to large amounts of leaf litter then step up to 4" but based off where my pond is located, he felt dual 3" drains would be fine. I also have a clean out Tee in both lines in case i have an issue with clogs, i can backwash them. I hope this works as i already plumbed! lol.........So barrel filter it you say....what is the best way for that? I have several 55 gal plastic barrels sitting around. Is there any way to somewhat hide them? without bandaiding the visible issue with over landscaping...? Also, i have that 4 cu ft of poly beads...can i use that in a barrel setup? i can build just about anything with enough info.... THANKS
    John

Sansai
    While it is not really worth buying, I have had several customers that have sand filters given to them. So the price is really good.

there is filter materiel that can be used and works fair. I have seen bioballs and the newer media that some of the bead filter guys have also been using. These all work pretty well. Backwashing is somewhat of an issue, as there is no air assist to backwash like on the more expensive pond filters.

As for the pump, if it is given to you, use it. If you have to pay for it, a good pond pump will pay for itself in electric savings in short order. And they are very much more quiet

Sand filters work well as the final stage in the higher end ponds as a means to polish the water. But they need very frequent backwashings.

d

Tosai
    Hmmmm.... well i would have to pay for it.... but its so rediculously cheap.... sand filter and pump 2 yrs old designed for up to 200# of sand for the low price of $75.00........Im still trying to get the details on the pump flow ect.... but could i not use this setup and replume for a newer pump when i can afford it? I think it uses 3" pvc...... but it may be 2" not sure yet... will know later today. I have 4 cu feet of bio beads, size of BB's..... they are poly plastic and float. Wonder if i could somehow modify filter to use these floating pellets Later on when i can part with a couple grand, ill get a pond filter system.

Hmmmm.... well i would have to pay for it.... but its so rediculously cheap.... sand filter and pump 2 yrs old designed for up to 200# of sand for the low price of $75.00........Im still trying to get the details on the pump flow ect.... but could i not use this setup and replume for a newer pump when i can afford it? I think it uses 3" pvc...... but it may be 2" not sure yet... will know later today. I have 4 cu feet of bio beads, size of BB's..... they are poly plastic and float. Wonder if i could somehow modify filter to use these floating pellets Later on when i can part with a couple grand, ill get a pond filter system.
    JOHN,
    SAND FILTERS ARE A PAIN IN THE BUTT. jUST GET THOSE LOW SPEED PUMPS. tAKE IT FROM STEVE. THE EQUIPMENT YOUR LOOKING AT MAYBE CHEAP. BUT THEY WILL COST YOU AN ARM AND A LEG TO OPERATE. A FRIEND OF MINE IS RUNNING A POOL EQUIPMENT IN HIS POND. I TOLD HIM TO CHANGE THEM BUT HE WOULD'NT LISTEN. JUST LAST WEEK HE WAS AND STILL COMPLAINING ABOUT HIS ELECTRICITY BILLS.
    mICHAEL

Tosai
    Yes, im sure the elect bill is much higher.....do they offer "low speed pumps" for the sand filter setup? i dont have the disposable income for a 2000 buck filter right now. I also took the advice on swapping out the 3" for 4" drains. Pain in the ARSE but this way i wont have to worry. Pluse, i made my 3" drains, ill make my 4" the same way. Question.... in not familair with the bottom drains that have the air setup....can someone fill me in on this type of drain...and any links on how to build one DIY? I was able to make my 3" drains for under $20 compaired to buying them for $99..........
    Thanks again!
    John
    Florida

Sansai
    Bottom drains, you made your own? Are they retro fit types that are on top of the liner?

Pond pumps are usually low pressure high volume pumps, while pool pumps are high pressure. Using sand, it has to be.

For 75 bucks you probably will be getting your money's worth out of the filter with some modifications.

The pump, as has been stated will cost you dearly. You would be able to buy the pond pump with what it will save you in power bills in the first year.

So that call will be yours. yes you can use pool pumps on a pond. But you will pay the price, no matter how cheap the pump is to buy.

As for plumbing, most swimming pool pumps are either 1.5 or 2 inch plumbing, so it would be very easy to switchover later on (if the pool pump does not put you in the poor house first)

d

Yes, im sure the elect bill is much higher.....do they offer "low speed pumps" for the sand filter setup? i dont have the disposable income for a 2000 buck filter right now. I also took the advice on swapping out the 3" for 4" drains. Pain in the ARSE but this way i wont have to worry. Pluse, i made my 3" drains, ill make my 4" the same way. Question.... in not familair with the bottom drains that have the air setup....can someone fill me in on this type of drain...and any links on how to build one DIY? I was able to make my 3" drains for under $20 compaired to buying them for $99..........
    Thanks again!
    John
    Florida
    John,
    You can try using the koi toilet, it comes with the 4 in. bottomdrain with air diffuser (9 in.)
    Michael

Sansai
    Micheal

IF you notice, he built his own for $20. Koi toidies cost into the $200 range, and he would not spend $99 on a bottom drain.

d

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast