Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning a new pond...could use some advise.

Planning a new pond...could use some advise.

My current pond is wonderful, but I decided I need a bigger one. Currently I have 9000 gallons. Two drains...one goes to a Nexus and one goes to a DIY filter (New Static And Fluid Kaldnes Filter (diy) - KoiShack) which I am very happy with.

The new pond will be around 15,000 gallons. There will be 3 drains (aerated this time) and 2 skimmers. I am trying to decide how I want the filtration to be. I would LOVE a pond sieve on each drain but that's not going to happen. The filters have to be DIY. I have plenty of room for a gravity fed filter pit. My original thought was to have 4 separate DIY filters like the one I linked to above (both skimmers can share one) and 4 separate pumps? OR do I use 4 filters and 2 larger pumps (each pulling from 2 filters)? I want to use W. Lim Wave pumps.

What brand of drains are best? Any suggestions there? I will use Savio skimmers. I know there are other choices...but I love savios for a number of reasons.

I am just at the planning stages right now, but I want this pond to be right. Can ya'll help? thanks.

Cindy

Jumbo
    Hi Cindy. Will the bottom drains feed TPRs? And will the skimmers feed a waterfall? Or what?

There will be one large waterfall with a winter bypass. Also will be at least 4 TPRs and maybe a surface level return as well.

My current line of thinking is to have 4 sets of filters and 2 larger pumps, each pulling water from one set of filters. One pump will supply the TPRs and the other pump will supply the waterfall. I am going to try to incorporate a large shower filter somewhere in this design as well. I may have one pump supplying a shower filter, then the shower filter will gravity flow to the waterfall. I need to draw this thing up and get a better idea of what I am thinking about.

Jumbo
    Let's start with some basics Cindy. Each BD needs a min. of 2500 gph for line sweep, or 7500 gph total. If I was desigining this pond I would go with one large settlement chamber or 3 smaller ones, then gravity feed through one large or 3 smaller fluid bed bio filters, then one large or 3 small sand/gravel mech. filters then a sure pro 8500 or 3 sure pro 3500s feeding the tprs.

I have several fluid bed and sand/gravel filters in operation here and love them. The choices above would depend on available space and draw down/pipe sizes would have to be accounted for.

For your two skimmers, go with the large savio's with the 16 inch wier, two sure pro 8500s feeding two bakki type showers. They can feed your waterfall and be hidden. I'm sure you have seen my DIY shower, 4 trays, each 4 feet long, being fed with a sure pro 8500.

Here's a quick sketch of what I am thinking. Each drain has it's own 2-barrel filter, the skimmers share a filter. I will size the pumps so each drain flows around 3000 gph, either using one pump per drain (one filter) or one larger pump for 2 filters. I am certainly open to suggesions though. I figure with this design, I will be flowing around 12,000 gph. Of course the pumps will have to be sized to account for head loss.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Planning a new pond...could use some advise.-newpond.jpg  

Cindy

As far as bottom drains are concerned, the newest on the market happens to, IMHO, also be the best designed BD on the market today. It is called the KoiToilet and is made my Fancy Koi Outlet.com here in San Jose. They also are not as pricey as most others out there. Check them out and see the difference for yourself.

Mike

Thanks Mike..I do plan to check those out. A guy who lives not far from my is installing them in his new pond soon, so I'll get a chance to see them in action. I like the price of them very much!

Jumbo
    Picture for Cindy. The amount of sludge collected in my vortex in one week.

wow. That vortex is really doing it's job!

Birdman is that a DIY vortex or brand name? CarolinaGirl, If you go with concrete bottom, I saw a flush mounted inbedded bottom aerated drain at our last koi show in SA, Tx which I liked. I do not remember the name, but they had it on display and active in a tank of water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast