Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: R/G installer Mike Garcia ready to build his first Koi Pond

Tosai

R/G installer Mike Garcia ready to build his first Koi Pond

I have been installing R/g ponds for many years. After attending some Koi events (AKCA), I am ready to build my first true Koi Pond in my back yard, which will replace my existing R/G pond. I need help from beginning to completion.

For starters, I would take Nancy/Frank, etal up on their kind offers for tutelage, and at the same time contact Burt Ballou to see if he would let you come to see his. Any pond with water so pristine that the owner can swim in it, is worth emulating...
    Get yourself some "eyes on" with some top-end ponds, then come back here and write what you have observed and learned and how you plan to apply it to your own build. I honestly think you'll benefit more from that, not only for yourself but for you other educational goals as well, than you could ever hope for just asking questions here.
    Not trying to blow you off, just push you higher
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Mike, I lived in Southern California for the first 50 years of my life, and I can tell you with some authority that you live in "koi mecca." There are literally hundreds of koi kichi with outstanding ponds within one hour of the South Bay - most of whom are more than happy to show you their ponds and talk to you about their filtration and construction. Additionally, there are high-end koi retailers galore. Join one of the clubs that Steve listed above. Visit Mystic Koi, Asahi, Eastern Nishikigoi, Laguna Koi, or Andrews Koi. Talk to or visit the ponds of, amongst others, Nancy and Frank, Burt Ballou, Tom Holder at Koi Kare Kennel. Plan on spending a lot of time at the Southern California ZNA Show in Gardena in March. I promise you you'll learn a lot and meet some pretty great people who love to share their love of this hobby. I can't tell you how much I miss the ability to visit these great people and shops. I'm planning on coming home in March for the Show and stay a few extra days to see old friends and eat some decent Mexican food and See's Candy.
    Lynda

mikegarcia

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:18 pm Post subject: reply Hello Dr. Johnson
    Glad to see a positive post! I think that most people try to do the best with what they have. Sometimes, people get stuck in a glut of negativity and this is sometimes hard to rise above. You mention the ponding "hobby" and I feel that since this is the IPPCA and the second letter of IPPCA stands for PROFESSIONAL, this indicates this forum is for PROFESSIONALS (although hobbyists are welcome). The Koi boards I have recently visited have informed me they are primarily serving the needs of HOBBYISTS. So the way I see it, If you are a professional Traditional Koi Pond Builder, the only place that I know where you can network with other professionals is........the IPPCA.
    I have alot of respect for the Koi hobby and their websites and I am even in the middle of a forum in which I am seeking out the help of the Hobbyists as I install a high end Traditional Koi Pond. I am glad for their assistance and look foward to my first meeting at the ZNA club.

Moving to pond construction. Keep this one civil folks. thanks
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Well, how big of a pond do you want to build?

Tosai

I'm not ignoring you

Wow, what a fantastic response. I thank all of you for your questions! Keep 'em coming. As today is monday, I am back in full swing at work, so I will need a few days to think deeply about your questions. It is strange for me to be on the other side of the table. Usually I am the one asking the questions, so this is a rather interesting experience. Thank you for all the questions and please, don't stop!

Quote Originally Posted by mikegarcia View Post
    Wow, what a fantastic response. I thank all of you for your questions! Keep 'em coming. As today is monday, I am back in full swing at work, so I will need a few days to think deeply about your questions. It is strange for me to be on the other side of the table. Usually I am the one asking the questions, so this is a rather interesting experience. Thank you for all the questions and please, don't stop!
    Funny, I would have thought that you would have been use to being asked hundreds of questions by your potential customers.

Tosai

check it out

Nancy Perhaps I should give you a little background. Please check out http://www.clca-lasgv.org. You'll notice mention of award winning landscape contractors and photos of their 2008 projects. Please notice that my company is named several times. I know how to run a business and how to do it well. I won't dignify your comment with a direct response, however, I am looking into joining my local chapter Koi Club. I've been told it's the ZNA. Is that correct? Are you and your husband Frank a part of this chapter? I would try and be nice because you and I might be spending time together on projects which will promote the hobby of Koi keeping. I intend on joining several Koi clubs (if they exist)in my area and I know our paths will probably cross and I want it to be pleasant for all of us. I live in Redondo Beach which is near Gardena. Perhaps you can give me some direction regarding our local Koi Clubs. I look foward to your response.

Mike, I think what Nancy is saying is that so many times people go to pond builders and ask for a koi pond. What they get is a watergarden. The customer is usually uneducated and don't know who to trust, so they ask their builder all the questions that you are asking us now. Many pond builders do not know how to build a proper koi pond and aren't interested in learning, so they just feed the customers the same line of crap we've all heard (about how rocks create a perfect eco-systems, how a koi pond only needs to be 24" deep....etc). Instead of researching what koi REALLY need, the pond builders tend to buuild what they know how to build. So you are now asking the same questions that your previous customers have asked you. How did you answer them?

don't get me wrong...I am glad you are interested in learning the RIGHT way to build a koi pond now, even though past customers may have wished you learned how to do it correctly a long time ago. Better late than never i guess!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast