Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: hire a builder to do a 10,000 gal polyurea/gunite pond for $35k ?

This thread is very informative and depressing.

I've been waiting two years to put in a real koi pond and now just got some extra money put aside. I was getting excited about finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel as I have now $10,000. saved.

Aww poop! Looks like I gotta find at least twice that to get what I want. Yeah, I live in that spendy Cali.

crazy, isn't it??? time to switch hobby? my wife and kids probably be happy to hear that.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by KoiCCAPW View Post
    This thread is very informative and depressing.

I've been waiting two years to put in a real koi pond and now just got some extra money put aside. I was getting excited about finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel as I have now $10,000. saved.

Aww poop! Looks like I gotta find at least twice that to get what I want. Yeah, I live in that spendy Cali.

Daihonmei
    Oh come on I put in this 50,000 gallon "pond" for $16,000 including the 20,000GPH prop pump
    Lake Luke

Daihonmei
    I had a swimming pool company quote me for a change and expansion on my current 7500 gallon pond. I could GC it myself but at 56 I'm not about climbing into excavations any more. So they seem confident, I'm confident that I can stay on top of them and keep them on the path to a 18,000 gallon pond. They are to take out the side wall of the existing pond, rebar into it and create a free form 'L' off of the original pond. The existing pond is deep and would become more shallow after the pour to incorporate it into the new section, but that would be fine as a resting/viewing and feeding area. Then the quote comes- ready------ excavation, rebar, pour ( pumper truck) and basic drains ( no filters as they are clueless). Raise 2 feet to meet a future decking, and no grading, finishing or decking. -------- $ 60,000. I suggested that they look for another idiot. JR

that's living proof. this is why I love diy project. save $$$$$ for fish. :-)

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    Oh come on I put in this 50,000 gallon "pond" for $16,000 including the 20,000GPH prop pump
    Lake Luke

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    I had a swimming pool company quote me for a change and expansion on my current 7500 gallon pond. I could GC it myself but at 56 I'm not about climbing into excavations any more. So they seem confident, I'm confident that I can stay on top of them and keep them on the path to a 18,000 gallon pond. They are to take out the side wall of the existing pond, rebar into it and create a free form 'L' off of the original pond. The existing pond is deep and would become more shallow after the pour to incorporate it into the new section, but that would be fine as a resting/viewing and feeding area. Then the quote comes- ready------ excavation, rebar, pour ( pumper truck) and basic drains ( no filters as they are clueless). Raise 2 feet to meet a future decking, and no grading, finishing or decking. -------- $ 60,000. I suggested that they look for another idiot. JR
    Hah!!!!! I'll come out and do it for $50,000.LOL

Lets see I got some vacation.....................................right after I finish mine.

$45K

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nguyen View Post
    that's living proof. this is why I love diy project. save $$$$$ for fish. :-)

Steve
    as long as you are in the hobby for the trip, and not the destination...
    I've been at it for a few years

JR

How much were you figuring the cost would be prior to their quote? Sometimes, we get an "expectation" number in our heads, then when the real price is given, IT'S STICKER SHOCK! - Priced a new car lately - that will help put things into perspective. I don't think they were too far off, considering you have to have them demo, excavate, rebar, plumb and then gunite the entire pond including what is already existing. This can sometimes be quite a bit more than having a bare piece of dirt to come in and work with. You mentioned too that this was just the shell, no coping or filtration. I would think $45-50k would be more in line.

Mike

Sansai
    If I were blending two shells together I would use polyurea. The cost of the polyurea can partly offset by not surfacing the entire project with whatever plaster coat and concrete that you currently have in mind and you wouldn't have to give up any floor depth of the exhisting shell. Demo on the old section to be removed and exposing the rebar for tie in is a lot of work and a big expense.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast