Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keirin Koi "Koi-Heat" Pond Heater

Still doing well. I can not express how steady the water temp is. I did raise the temp to 68f and the pond water is 67.1f now.

Cool, I'm still waiting for mine to be shipped. My water temp is down 41.4.

Daniel

[quote=bone;98769]Cool, I'm still waiting for mine to be shipped. My water temp is down 41.4.

That is quite low do you have some greenhouse type cover over the top . As to bring up to and keep your pond over 60f will cost a lot of money .
    My unheated ponds are staying around the 46f but I have double polly with air blown in between .
    Regards
    Eugene

Question.......

[quote=Eugeneg;98789]
    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post

That is quite low do you have some greenhouse type cover over the top . As to bring up to and keep your pond over 60f will cost a lot of money .
    My unheated ponds are staying around the 46f but I have double polly with air blown in between .
    Regards
    Eugene
    Eugene,

Without the double polly where would your pond temp hang? What is your outside temp? I am considering running polly over the pond I am currently building for the Omosako grow out event. It would be nice to get my water temp in the mid fifties so I could feed a couple times a week over the winter. I am blessed with Southern California weather but I am inland so my temp hangs just low enough to keep me from feeding or at least make it challenging!

Additionally I am considering doing something (inexpensive) to insulate the filters, pre-filters and pumps. The filter staging is approximately four feet away from the pond.

The pond is half in ground half above. Black is the color of the verticals so it should capture some heat during the day. There will be approximately 2 or 3 inches between the water and the polly allowing for gas exchange.

My in ground eco-system ponds hang at 50 degrees currently and our current temp at night varies from low forties to mid fifties. However it is not uncommon to experience some nights in the mid 30's!

I see that you are in Canada. Can you give me feedback on the lowest outside temp you experience in the winter and how much you can expect the poly to warm up the pond. Also what mil is the poly that you are using?

Can you clarify, are you blowing in warm air or just blowing air from an typical pond aerator? Are you blowing the air into the bottom drain or other diffuser or are you blowing in air between the water and the poly?

Thank you in advance for you feedback.
    "Doubt sees the obstacles, Faith sees the way!"

[quote=Eugeneg;98789]
    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post

Regards
    Eugene
    I have a polastic cover over my pond right now. It's been real cold here lately. Lows have been in the single digits and highs in the thirties. My pond has a pergola over it and i enclosed the pergola in plastic. Not ideal like having the plastic right over the water but alot better than none.

Daniel

[quote=The Pond Digger;98799][quote=Eugeneg;98789]

Eugene,

Without the double polly where would your pond temp hang? What is your outside temp? I am considering running polly over the pond I am currently building for the Omosako grow out event. It would be nice to get my water temp in the mid fifties so I could feed a couple times a week over the winter. I am blessed with Southern California weather but I am inland so my temp hangs just low enough to keep me from feeding or at least make it challenging!

Additionally I am considering doing something (inexpensive) to insulate the filters, pre-filters and pumps. The filter staging is approximately four feet away from the pond.

The pond is half in ground half above. Black is the color of the verticals so it should capture some heat during the day. There will be approximately 2 or 3 inches between the water and the polly allowing for gas exchange.

My in ground eco-system ponds hang at 50 degrees currently and our current temp at night varies from low forties to mid fifties. However it is not uncommon to experience some nights in the mid 30's!

I see that you are in Canada. Can you give me feedback on the lowest outside temp you experience in the winter and how much you can expect the poly to warm up the pond. Also what mil is the poly that you are using?

Can you clarify, are you blowing in warm air or just blowing air from an typical pond aerator? Are you blowing the air into the bottom drain or other diffuser or are you blowing in air between the water and the poly?

Without double polly mywater tem would be 38f the outside tem is going to drop to -15c tonight . For grow out your minimum tem should be 68f and fed once a day or to get max growth go to 75f and feed twice a day .
    Water tem in mid fiftys is best for growing paresites not fish either stay below 48f and not feed or go 60+ .
    The polly is well above the pond and stops the wind chill mostly but I use a swimig pool blanket which I put over every night .
    I leave my filters running but all air comes from air pump located in warm area with insulated air lines into the bottom drain . I am useing well water to help in heating .
    Regards
    Eugene

Thanks

[quote=Eugeneg;98843][quote=The Pond Digger;98799]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post

Eugene,

Without double polly mywater tem would be 38f the outside tem is going to drop to -15c tonight . For grow out your minimum tem should be 68f and fed once a day or to get max growth go to 75f and feed twice a day .
    Water tem in mid fiftys is best for growing paresites not fish either stay below 48f and not feed or go 60+ .
    The polly is well above the pond and stops the wind chill mostly but I use a swimig pool blanket which I put over every night .
    I leave my filters running but all air comes from air pump located in warm area with insulated air lines into the bottom drain . I am useing well water to help in heating .
    Regards
    Eugene
    Interesting. Thanks for your feedback.

The Pond Digger

Turned heater on December 23 and I am very pleased. I will let you know if I keep the temp set at 68f after I receive my next gas bill. For now here are a few photo's just taken.

Quote Originally Posted by farne230 View Post
    Turned heater on December 23 and I am very pleased. I will let you know if I keep the temp set at 68f after I receive my next gas bill. For now here are a few photo's just taken.
    Very nice pond and fish . Right now it is -17 c so it is quite pricy for me to heat that is why I need to get a lot of fish to grow out at same time . My temperature has dropped to 66f .
    If you use a swimming pool cover every night you will save yourself at least 30% in heating costs .
    Regards
    Eugene

Once I find out how much extra this heater is going to cost me at this temp setting, I just may take your suggestion, Eugene. I would hate to cover the pond, since it is so close to the house and provides us a great view from within the house. The outside temp at 8:00pm is 43.0f and the pond temp is 67.1f. I am using the Pinpoint wireless thermometer with one extra monitor, you may see them by the patio colume.

In the end if the monthly gas cost is too high I may consider a cover or lower the temp. I decided on the heater, rather then some other water quality tool, is further protect our koi from 20 degree fluxuations overnight and keep the biofilters running.
    Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast