Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Keirin Koi "Koi-Heat" Pond Heater

gas heat

i put a temporary plastic cover over my pond to help hold in the heat but it does detract from the pond experience and the look of the yard.....but i keep telling myself it is only temporary....i do like the new heater though....i don't bave mine set nearly as high as yours though...i am thinking about cranking it up to 59 or 60.....but i am trying to make myself wait...i want to get a gas bill to compare

I will post my gas bill within the next 30 days. The usage will be approximate since the kids are using the gas fired hot tub and house heating during the winter. My last bill did not show any indication of usage above normal, the bill only reflected three or four days of heater usage.

I have not received our gas bill yet, but we have had some overnight temps drop to below freezing during this billing cycle. I have set our thermostate at 66 to 70 (avg 66). The pond has remained at a constent temp within 1 degree or less. I have been very happy. I will report the cost of heating this December and January within a week or so. Another side effect of stable pond temps is a stable PH. It has been running 8.2 to 8.5 (avg 8.4) and DO is saturated. ORP has fluxuated 140 to 200. I would expect to remain over 200.
    Bob

Sounds great Bob. I'm finally supposed to get mine this week. I'll hook it up early next week. I will post my costs after I get my heating bill later on. Time to warm the poor guys. My pond temps have been in the low forties for a month.

Daniel

Honmei
    I just noticed this thread. It looks like their heating system if from Kozy Koi.

John with Keirin koi builds these units under the name "Koi Heat". I love it but as expected it will cost a few dollars to run. One more water parameter now under control.
    Bob

Hi Bob, I got my unit up and running about two weeks ago. I love it! Keeping my temp at 60. I'll have to see what kind of gas bill I get. Although my pond is covered for the winter it may not be as bad. I'm sure the initial heating from 41 to 60 degrees will be expensive. Since then it only comes on a couple times a day. I have the 220,000 btu unit. I'll give an update later on. I'll post some pics when I get time. I know my Koi are happier!

Daniel

Thats great Daniel.
    Bob

I just noticed this thread. I also have the Koi heat unit which John installed for me last October. I did have gas lines run and that was a high initial cost. The gas bills are running @$200 a month and I am keeping it at 55 deg. Not too bad since I do not have it covered. The temps in Va. haven't been bad this winter either, so that helps.
    But a couple days ago we had an ice/sleet storm and 2 things happened. One-the heater had a hard time keeping it at 55 deg., fell to 50 deg. that day, back up to 52 deg. the next day. Maybe my turnover was part of the problem and/or being off for several hours. I do wonder if I would have a more serious problem over a longer cold spell.
    Second- our power went out. Luckily not for long, but I became frantic after my generator wouldn't start. It sat idle to long I guess. I also have a boat battery with an inverter that I then hooked up but it could only handle the air pump not the heat too. I then ran to home-depot in this cold icey mess and rented another one and had to lug the 200 lb monster to the back by myself(poor me). I am too old for this____! Moral is make sure you have a back up generator when heating your pond in the winter, esp in areas more vulnerable to temp change. Over a 5 deg. temp change is very stressful to Koi and can happen sooner than you think. My next purchase is an automatic permanent generator!!
    With all this, I am enjoying them in the winter for the first time in 15 years.
    Terri
    Terri Janas
    Master Koi Health Advisor
    Member of
    ZNA Potomac
    MAKC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123