Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bakki shower

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    By the time I finished installing my showers it got too cold to use them. So in March I will probably crank them up...depending on temp. Right now the media is all 1" bio balls. I think those are the next best thing to BS. The have lots of void space for plenty of gas exchange.
    Good for gas exchange only as bio balls are not suitable for a baki shower A poor substitude would be lava rock
    Regards
    Eugene

619 Guy. Member of the Koi Club of San Diego
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    Good for gas exchange only as bio balls are not suitable for a baki shower A poor substitude would be lava rock
    Regards
    Eugene
    So could you (would you) suggest a media for use in a BH for an individual who will be "experimenting with the idea" of a DIY Bakki Shower for his soon-to-be build 580 gallon QT tank? (Coming Soon!)

Something that isn't "A poor substitude" as lava rock seems to be.

Bottom line: Best bang for the buck.

Thank you,

LP

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomaponder View Post
    So could you (would you) suggest a media for use in a BH for an individual who will be "experimenting with the idea" of a DIY Bakki Shower for his soon-to-be build 580 gallon QT tank? (Coming Soon!)

Thank you,

LP
    Lava Rock is more than good enough for ANY Porous Media Shower.
    I've had it on a 3500 gallon QT for 4 years now. This "QT" has a high concentration of fish and is clear as a bell, and is the reason I went with a huge PMS of lava rock for LakeLuke

[quote=Lomaponder;100362]So could you (would you) suggest a media for use in a BH for an individual who will be "experimenting with the idea" of a DIY Bakki Shower for his soon-to-be build 580 gallon QT tank? (Coming Soon!)

Lava rock is about all I could find , but I do not think that I would bother with a baki shower for a small quarantine tank . I t would be better to use media from your filters for a quick start up and have a small filter
    Regards
    Eugene

Tategoi
    The main ingredient that makes the Bakki shower work is aeration. Same as a TT, in fact it is a TT with better aeration.

Roddy Conrad used lava rock in his TTs and many hobbyists and dealers adapted his ideas. Using lave rock he was able to develop an effective colony in exceptionally short time. His TTs were built like a volcano with the water flowing down on the outside and into the rest of the mound. That gave the same exceptional aeration as Bakki showers.

If the TDS drops, something is removing it. Either water changes or itís depositing on the media. The TDS doesnít evaporate; it stays and builds up until itís removed.

A problem with lava is the bacterium in the pores doesnít all slough off, it dies and decays right there so lava should be exchanged now and then.

As soon as the developer of the ceramic media claimed the process worked because of long wave infrared I thought Ďsnake oilí. Infra red at that wave length most of us call heat. I donít see any way ceramic or depositing salts can react with anything to develop heat. Maybe the deposited heavy metals are oxidizing but that seems far fetched. Good question for Roddy.

Sansai

water pressure

With something I read I understand we need high water pressure for Bakki shower , do we have to change to new water pump with that set up or still used low pressure high volume like convertion way.

Tategoi
    The only pressure you will have to deal with is the height of the shower over the height of the pond surface.

That will be about two or three pounds.

bakki shower

i have a bakki shower on my pond with bacteria house media.......i really like it ....i think in a quarantine pond the amount of bacteria house media you would need wouldn't be that expensive as one box would probably do it... and it does good things for water quality....i have a small shower on my quarantine tank also....my fish sure have a voracious appetite

MCA
    off gasing is all I am after. I already have 2 nexus and 400L of air on the pond. ORP is always over 300mV.

Tategoi
    I suspect an air fluidized bed acts a lot loke a TTor bakki.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast