Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underlayment

Tosai

Underlayment

What do you recommend as underlayment for a new pond with a liner?

Gary

Geo-textile

Geo-textile fabric underlayment. Most pond shops will have plenty of it in stock. Lightweight, breaths to prevent gases from building under the pond liner, low cost, comes in widths of 7.5' and 15' and super fast to install!

The Pond Digger
    Last edited by The Pond Digger; 01-20-2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: typo

Carpet. I go dumpster diving at the carpet stores and get all the free carpet I want. I install it with the fuzzy side towards the liner. It lasts forever and is very hard for rodents or any other pest to chew through. Just make sure there are no staples in it. It's not terribly attractive though!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Underlayment-p2050006-small-.jpg  

MCA
    house wrap!

cheap, tough, light weight and no problem creasing folds as needed.

carpet

carpet can be thicker and free. just put some sand on the bottum. under the underlayment. :-)

[quote=garywalker;101776]What do you recommend as underlayment for a new pond with a liner?

Gary
    Definatly the felt fabric it has been used for years in road construction . It is great to lay down so that you have less problem laying down your liner and avoid extra creases as each fold holds some dead water trapped under it . If you are going to lay stone one should pour a cemment colar first this will help to hold the liner and finishing stone in place as well as allowing to make steeper sides without them collapsing . The felt can be wrapped neatly over the corner of cemment in fact a double layer at corners of cemment
    If you can not afford felt fabrick under the liner do not even start .
    Regards
    Eugene

Tosai
    Eugene,

When you say "felt fabric" are you referring to the geo-textile fiber that The Pond Digger recommended?

Gary

Jumbo
    I have used carpet several times myself. I tell the local carpet store what I want, and when they have a tear out, they let me know, I show up, and they roll it up and even help me load it.

[quote=garywalker;101910]Eugene,

When you say "felt fabric" are you referring to the geo-textile fiber that The Pond Digger recommended?

Gary
    Yes any underlay that is used on roads is OK I do not think that there is any made specifically for ponds . If you run in to sharp stone it is still a good idea to put down sand and possibly a double layer on sides . Mice love the material so try and lay it and liner filling with water as soon as possible . If you have moles try and get rid of them as they can chew a hole through liner
    Regards
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    If you can not afford felt fabrick under the liner do not even start .
    personally, my decision to use carpet was not because I couldnt' afford underlayment....but it was to save money. I don't see the need in spending money when you can get a different product that works just as well for free. I DIY everything, and always look for ways to cut costs without cutting quality. But you're right....if you cant AFFORD underlayment, then don't start. Underlayment is cheap compared to the rest of the costs. Ain't nothin' cheap about building a pond!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast