Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Epoxy Coating for Concerete Pond

Luke, I am interested in this product. Which one did you use? (Im at the site now)

Luke, I agree and can't wait to try it on our next gunite shoot, however, the question was about the use of Epoxy Coatings. Your response was informative but didn't answer the question asked.

Mike

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by ootyboy View Post
    I used Pond Armor on my current pond, and found that the company over promises and very much under delivers. Their coverage per package, is well below that they promise. Also, their support after the fact is horrid. Both of those guys that work there, Butch & Greg are not really pond builders.
    I found just the opposite. I used pond shield on my new pond and once I figured out what I was doing it went really well. I did have some problems at 1st, do to me not following the directions exactly, but Butch was right there on the phone helping me and even over nighted additional pond shield at not cost to me, even though it was my mistake. I have nothing but praise for both Butch and pond shield. But you have to follow the directions and do it right. If anyone decides to use it, please give me a call. 541-408-3317. I'll fill you in on my mistakes, what I learned, and the tricks I came up with to make it go on faster.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nguyen View Post
    peeling sucks! that's why I like liner pond. coating ponds (gunite + cinder blocks) look nice but the thought of peeling turn me off. is there a product a guarantee no peeling?

Steve
    If you give the pond the required 28 days to cure, and acid wash it 1st, then apply it correctly, I doubt if it will ever come off.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by koiczar View Post
    ootyboy

We use a Graco model 650 spray unit and it blows this stuff out beautifully. You better be prepared to run as you spray as the unit puts out .8gpm and with a wide rac spray tip of 24" you cover a lot of surface real fast! As far as adhesion, I'm initially impressed. Mike
    How big a job is it to clean the sprayer when finished? As thick as pond shield is I didn't know you could spray it.

Over Promised?

A contractor buddy of mine in MN used Pond Armor as directed on an indoor pond application on block. All along consulting with the tech dept. from the P.A. headquarters. He was promised the product would get the job done.

I suggested polyurea right from the get go because of the indoor application but the contractor was convinced the P.A. would work because he spoke to the tech dept and they were so confident in the product and had done hundreds of similar projects with 100% success.

APPLICATION: Three coats of BLUE were applied with dry time allowed between applications and then a final coating of BLACK was applied. Any holidays in the coating would stand out in BLUE.

In all fairness, the pond was then covered with a double geo-textile underlayment and then the vertical walls (14"-16") were rocked in for a natural look. Mind you, all along the construction methods for the feature were presented to all parties during tech talk and still success was promised.

BOTTOM LINE THE FEATURE - LEAKED................Not pretty indoors! The product was over-promised, it underdelivered........... and was defended by poor application.

Polyurea saved the day.

Respectfully,

The Pond Digger
    "Doubt sees the obstacles, Faith sees the way!"

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pond Digger View Post
    A contractor buddy of mine in MN used Pond Armor as directed on an indoor pond application on block. All along consulting with the tech dept. from the P.A. headquarters. He was promised the product would get the job done.

I suggested polyurea right from the get go because of the indoor application but the contractor was convinced the P.A. would work because he spoke to the tech dept and they were so confident in the product and had done hundreds of similar projects with 100% success.

APPLICATION: Three coats of BLUE were applied with dry time allowed between applications and then a final coating of BLACK was applied. Any holidays in the coating would stand out in BLUE.

In all fairness, the pond was then covered with a double geo-textile underlayment and then the vertical walls (14"-16") were rocked in for a natural look. Mind you, all along the construction methods for the feature were presented to all parties during tech talk and still success was promised.

BOTTOM LINE THE FEATURE - LEAKED................Not pretty indoors! The product was over-promised, it underdelivered........... and was defended by poor application.

Polyurea saved the day.

Respectfully,

The Pond Digger
    Are you speaking of "Pond Shield", the product made by Pond Armour? If so I think maybe the reason it failed is it was applied wrong. You say 3 coats of blue. All the pigmentaded pond shield colors are one coat only, only the clear with out pigment takes 3 coats.

Here's a quote from the Pond Armour web site.
    "Pond Shield Competition Blue epoxy 1 1/2 Qt. kit. (We can pour off into 1 1/2 Gallon kits and 3 Gallon kits - call us for assistance) The same color blue used to bench Koi at Koi shows. This kit can cover up to 60 square feet at 10 mils. Pigmented versions of Pond Shield are thick (like grease) and applied in just 1 coat!"

Meg
    Wet Basement Waterproofing, Foundation Finishing & Flooring, Swimming Pool Deck, Roof, Concrete Floor Coating & Crack Repair, Radon Gas Mitigation

I used Sani-tred and am very happy with it. but the stuff Luke used is much more cost effective and sounds easier to use.
    if I had it to do over again I would be looking at them both closely

Birdman,

I am no a pond builder for a living but love DIY pond for my own. I plan to build my own pond on my next home so don't mind the newbie questions.

when you said "required 28 days to cure", are you saying the gunite should be left alone for 28 days at least, then acid wash before applying the coating?

thanks,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    If you give the pond the required 28 days to cure, and acid wash it 1st, then apply it correctly, I doubt if it will ever come off.

take one to know one. hahahah just kidding Luke!

seriously, would you mind sharing you knowledge over a phone call? I can PM your my contact info if you willing to share your experience.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    XYPEX
    Xypex Corporation

you guys are awful hard-headed.
    I did my pond..yep I took the leap. And Fuzzy was willing to folllow me.
    i stuccoed the inside blockwall of lakeluke...whenthe stuff cures it chemical bonds to the block..NADA zip nothing is going to come apart...and it forms a waterproof seal.

And cheap and easy to apply compared to ANY other sealant/coating

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast