Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Epoxy Coating for Concerete Pond

jimboc22

Ootyboy is NOT going to be happy with any product he uses and applies himself. It's all just sour grapes. Glad you saw through the b.s. and made a very solid point.

Mike

BTW, welcome aboard. Don't be shy or afraid to ask questions. Most are here to help where/when necessary/asked.

Nisai
    I am not sure sending a single kit, after spending over a $1000 to buy 20 kits is customer service -- This of course after many emails and phone calls to the company about my problems, where they blamed everything but their product. There is no reason to spend time again to explain my problems with Pond Armor -- I think that has been well documented. But if you think that a single Kit can solve the problems with a leaky pond that took 20 kits to coat is customer service, then I welcome you to use their snake oil.

On a side note, keep an eye out for my pond construction thread in the next few days. Having made a terrible decision and wasted a ton of money and time on Pond Armor, I decided a few weeks ago to redo my entire pond with Polyurea. This was instigated after I woke up one morning and found that I had lost more than half the water in the pond -- keep in mind that I was continuing to lose water for the past 3-4 months. As part of the process I am also redoing part of the filtration (using vortex filter and aerated bottom
    drains).

btw: koiczar since you are drinking the Pond Armor Kool Aid, I would strongly suggest that you continue using their stuff and keep redoing your pond every few months when this stuff fails.

Finished our customer's 22,55-00gal. pond in October - no leaks for 6 months - so far so good! Hmmm, wondering of it was the applied material or applier!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?

My pond is a gunite shell and to use pond shield as rough as my shell is would not be cost affective. But it's my choice as the prep work would not be worth it.

If it was smooth poured concrete (minimum 6.5 sack mix) I would consider it. But thats if it were properly poured, consolidated, cured and finished it would not leak

But this advice I can give for anyone who has a concrete shell. If your not water curing for minuim 2 weeks (14 full days) it will leak...................sorry but ya got to understand concrete. You can use blankets it does not have to be full of water.

Itty bitty hairline cracks leak, not being consolidated around piping, it will leak if you do not follow direction to a tee............................water is very unforgiving, it will make a grown person question everything about what they have done.

Any product if not done correctly will leak.
    Koi Wrangler
    CKHPA

Here is a link.........................Epoxy Coating - Coating Systems from ArmorPoxy Factory Coating Store you can form your own conclusions from there.

I have a local source that is not this company above, comes in the exact same colors and is applied the same way as pond armor. It runs app 85.00 a gallon and will cover 250-300 sq ft. of course that depends on surface texture. After talking with the gentelman for 20 mins there is no difference from this product and pond armor. Its seems that an apple is an apple..........it is what it is folks........ Oh that price is same for any one walking in his shop, it may vary from dealer to dealer.

Oh custom colors are just 6.00 per gallon more and has a rainbow color chart to pick from.

Here is link to list............

http://www.nelsonitepoolanddeck.com/listings_reg.html
    Koiman™
    CDKPA

Nisai
    The price difference is amazing!! They charge for a gallon what Pond Armor charges for a Quart!!

Given that it looks like Koiczar, or at least his customer, got taken for a good chunk of money caoting a 22,500 gallon pond with Pond Armor!!!!

ootyboy................sorry to say I have not had a problem with this product other then the cost factor. Its all about surface prep, and most here will agree on that fact. Its like anything .....house painting, cars ect if not prep'ed right paint will peel or bubble. I have a pond in La Jolla that we did about 2 yrs ago and it still is looking good.............product does work.....the price doesn't.

Picture of Roger & Elenor Phillips pond (San Diego Koi Club)done in pond armor.

KDSD

Wow! I would agree that IF that product is THE EXACT SAME THING as PondShield, then the price is markedly better. It's about 65% cheaper which makes me question the whole equation/pricing between the two products. Also, if the product you site is a "use it directly from the can" with no mixing involved, it wouldn't be the same as Pond Shield is mixed with the catalyst 2:1 before use and has a much shorter pot life. Am I reading the info correctly or did I miss something in their product info? I know, some products are simply "jacked up" pricing whenever you say it's "specially designed" for ponds but that price is just too much of a differential for me to see that they're EXACTLY the same.

Ootyboy

I'm glad you went with Polyurea, but most customers just won't understand the cost at $12/sq ft. I agree that the Pond Shield was highly priced, but if it lives up to the manufacturer's claims, it should hold up for quite some time and didn't break the bank. I'm sure you had this installed by a pro, so, now, if you have a problem, the liability lies with the installer, not you!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by KDSD View Post
    ootyboy................sorry to say I have not had a problem with this product other then the cost factor. Its all about surface prep, and most here will agree on that fact. Its like anything .....house painting, cars ect if not prep'ed right paint will peel or bubble. I have a pond in La Jolla that we did about 2 yrs ago and it still is looking good.............product does work.....the price doesn't.

Picture of Roger & Elenor Phillips pond (San Diego Koi Club)done in pond armor.

Sent you a PM Mike.....................

Thanks KDSD. Got it! You've got a reply.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast