Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Epoxy Coating for Concerete Pond

Nisai

Epoxy Coating for Concerete Pond

Has anyone used any type of Epoxy resin as a water proofing membrane for a concrete pond? If so I would love to hear about your experience.

Hubby used an epoxy on my goldfish pond. Had them tint it blue. I've had a couple chips but its holding water.

Its 114 gallons and home for 3 goldies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epoxy Coating for Concerete Pond-6.jpg  

I used a product called Pond Shield to coat my concrete block pond. It is an epoxy based product. Google pond shield and their website will come up with plenty info.

Daniel

Honmei
    I have never used PondShield but Koiczar has and speaks very highly of it as well.

MCA
    from what I have hear...pond shield is good stuff. Pond Armor - Non Toxic Epoxy and Polyurea Pond Liners and Sealers

You might also want to check on CIM and Herco's liquid rubber.

Nisai
    I used Pond Armor on my current pond, and found that the company over promises and very much under delivers. Their coverage per package, is well below that they promise. Also, their support after the fact is horrid. Both of those guys that work there, Butch & Greg are not really pond builders. I know for a fact that Greg used to be a painter. They claim to know pond construction, and support their products. However, when there is a problem, as I had in my construction, they blame the applicator and claim their product is perfect and without fault.

They buy this stuff in bulk from Epoxy dealers and mark it up a lot to sell to the pond industry. Next time I am using Mansoite -- a lot cheaper and carried by local dealers like deleted.
    Last edited by jnorth; 01-28-2008 at 08:19 AM. Reason: not an advertiser

MCA
    G4 is popluar in the UK. I know Dickson Brothers in Garland TX used to stock it. Never seen it anywhere else in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by ootyboy View Post
    I used Pond Armor on my current pond, and found that the company over promises and very much under delivers. Their coverage per package, is well below that they promise. Also, their support after the fact is horrid. Both of those guys that work there, Butch & Greg are not really pond builders. I know for a fact that Greg used to be a painter. They claim to know pond construction, and support their products. However, when there is a problem, as I had in my construction, they blame the applicator and claim their product is perfect and without fault.

They buy this stuff in bulk from Epoxy dealers and mark it up a lot to sell to the pond industry. Next time I am using Mansoite -- a lot cheaper and carried by local dealers like TSE Koi.
    ootyboy

Obviously, you live in the South Bay Area. Well, before we badmouth Butch and Greg, let me ask you, what was your pond constructed of? Did you shoot gunite or was it cinder block? Did you render it first to smooth out the coating so you could get the coverage they specify. We found out the hard way that it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT otherwise, you WILL NOT get the coverage they state. What method of application did you use? Brush, roller or spray application? There are major differences here as well.

I had some problems with delays getting the second and third batch of material we ended up needing. You stated that they buy the material from someone else and then mark it up - I don't think this is correct. When I called to place the second and third orders, the reason for a delay was they were MAKING IT! Evidently, some pool builder in Arizona was buying up everything he could get his hands on and their supply was exhausted.

I know that if we use this product again, and I'm sure we will, we will make sure the gunite is troweled to a very smooth finish, or rendered before applying this material. We use a Graco model 650 spray unit and it blows this stuff out beautifully. You better be prepared to run as you spray as the unit puts out .8gpm and with a wide rac spray tip of 24" you cover a lot of surface real fast! As far as adhesion, I'm initially impressed. This stuff is very strong and even takes a hell of a lot to sand it down, even with 40 grit grinder pads and a 7" grinder. Hardly scratches the surface when applied at 10-15 mils. Time will tell on how long it holds up, but my initial feeling is that it is far superior to products like CIM or Nelsonite of Hecht Rubber. I've seen all of these peel off within 2 - 5 years of service. The only other product we have used with very good success is PermaFlex. We will continue to use both of these products depending on the situation and construction methods needed/requested by the job and the customer.

Mike

peeling sucks! that's why I like liner pond. coating ponds (gunite + cinder blocks) look nice but the thought of peeling turn me off. is there a product a guarantee no peeling?

Steve

Daihonmei
    XYPEX
    Xypex Corporation

you guys are awful hard-headed.
    I did my pond..yep I took the leap. And Fuzzy was willing to folllow me.
    i stuccoed the inside blockwall of lakeluke...whenthe stuff cures it chemical bonds to the block..NADA zip nothing is going to come apart...and it forms a waterproof seal.

And cheap and easy to apply compared to ANY other sealant/coating

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast