Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water flow meter

Flow meter. I'm going to start searching for one soon. I can't pay that much for the purpose I need.

Quote Originally Posted by garywalker View Post
    Steve,

For a new, unfilled pond if it has a complex shape that makes if it is difficult to calculate its capacity you can use the flow meter on the input pipe to calculate the pond's capacity (flow x time required to fill).

Gary
    Gary,

you need a water meter then, not flow meter. flow meter only tell you the rate of water flow such as GPM. btw, you don't need to purchase the water meter to do what you want to achieve.

before you fill your new pond up, turn off every water faucets in your home and ask every to stop use water including flush the toilets. open up your home water meter on the side walk and write down its current reading. find out how your water meter work in term of reading the usage. my meter reading is 100 cubic foot per digit so for example.

current reading of 123456
    after filled the pond reading 123459
    diffs = 4 => 400 cubic foot
    1 cubit foot = 7.48 gallons
    so my pond would have 2992 gals.

I normally stop 2" before reaching the water line where I wanted to fill the pond up to. then take the water reading there before fill up another inch of water. this way, I can calculate and find out how many gals per inch of water in my pond. this is helpful when I change the water. I dump the water until it drop to the 1" mark or to 2" mark and I know exactly how many gals I need to refill.

you only need to do this once and keep the record. when you treat your pond with meds, you know exactly how many gals you have in the pond.

Steve

Honmei
    You can go to a plumbing supply warehouse, the real thing not a Home Depot, and pick up a water meter that would go on your house. They are usually solid brass and should cost $75.00 - $100.00. They will last forever, just about, and they read your flow in gallons not cubic feet. That makes it easier for everyone. You can install it anywhere as well, in the sun or not, it makes no difference. Life is just not that difficult.LOL

Russ,

I am not interested in buying one but which plumbing supply warehouse that carries water meter in south bay?

I have my system work out really well as describe earlier and don't intend to change it. imo, a few gals in difference doesn't do anything to size of the pond in thousands gals so there is no need to get exact reading.

Steve

Tosai
    Steve,

That technique would not work for me and others in rural areas who get their water from a well. But a meter installed on my house system as Russ suggests would work.

Gary

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nguyen View Post
    Russ,

I am not interested in buying one but which plumbing supply warehouse that carries water meter in south bay?

I have my system work out really well as describe earlier and don't intend to change it. imo, a few gals in difference doesn't do anything to size of the pond in thousands gals so there is no need to get exact reading.

Steve
    Hi Steve you could look up GPS, General Plumbing Supply.

Fry

Tactics of water flowmeters

Flow meters can quickly indicate water overuse. One of the most popular cost effective flow meters for water or water like fluids. This tool particularly measures wastewater volumes to help you plan your pollution prevention tactics.

Jumbo
    Here's a picture of a water meter I got off E-Bay for $28 plus shipping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water flow meter-water-meter.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12