Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: What do you use as Prefilter before Bakki Shower?

What do you use as Prefilter before Bakki Shower?

I am using GcTec SS Vortex prefilters. In one of my pumps have reduced flow. All lines were checked for suction leaks and tightened, pumps switched no differance. My suction lift is about 1.5 to 2 ft, and the lift after pump is about 7 feet using the A75 artesian pump 1/2hp. I disconnected this vortex and have not reconnect setup (broke swing valve again). Now I am thinking how to either leave vortex out and pipe directly to pump or take out the backflush pipping and valves, maintain filtration only and open discharge valve on Vortex to waste during filtering mode. All this to increase flow (why the water in pump basket is always 1/3 to 1/2 full).

What do you Bakki Shower folks use for prefilters if any and what do you recommend I do to increase flow. I wanted to load pictures I had already posted on this forum but I do not know how, it just shows where I posted them, help please.
    Bob

Sansai
    Those Vortex prefilters are very small. What flow rate are you trying to get through it? Something that size should probably be rated at about 1800 gph for proper prefiltration. What does the inside look like?
    You already have a problem trying to prefilter with direct suction above water level so that limits your options. The best solutions are all gravity flow to a settlement or seperation tank and using direct suction from there. That would require 4 inch bottom drains and enough tank size for the gravity flow rate you are trying to achieve.

Kent, I have not given up yet. I plan on opening up the bottom drain, inserting a 1/1/2" sump pump hose into the 3" line and pump the pond water through the 3" pipe to the surface (I have disconnected all the pipping form the filter pump). If any think is stuck in the pipes or even air it should be removed. I have to go from the BD because of a check valve located along this burried line.

Also gravity is out of the question, just below the surface is rock, and the filter area is tight and equipment is on a concrete slab now. The pump is about 16" to 24" above the pond water line now. The aretesian pumps should have a suction of 10feet without a problem.

I agree the vortex seam small to me too. One of them was filled with algae and pumped well, the other was clean (bad one), I suspect because of low flow. I only find coarse gravel on the bottom. I do not know of any other larger vortex pressure units on the market. I would love a screen but I do not know how it would work in my situation.

Also I am using two performance pro artesian A75 1/2hp pumps rated at 7580 gph to feed vortexs and bakki shower.

Jumbo
    I am not using any prefilter at all on mine. Just the strainer basket. 8500 gph from my skimmer directly to my shower. So far so good, no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    I am not using any prefilter at all on mine. Just the strainer basket. 8500 gph from my skimmer directly to my shower. So far so good, no problems at all.

Thats exactly what I am planning on doing also. I'll have 2 skimmers gravity feeding a stock tank and then pump directly to the shower. The skimmers do have filter mats in them which will keep most larger stuff out of the pump.

Jumbo
    My skimmer just has a strainer basket but that works well enough for me.

I use a DIY vortex chamber as a prefilter on our koi pond. So far, so good...

Good to hear that water quality nuts as yourselves Birdman and Carolinagirl run BS w/0 prefilters, giving a higher flow rates. I will not hesitate removing the vortex's if necessary next time. I too questioned these small vortex's but Gary at GcTec stands behind his product and claims a flow rate over 7,000 gph is fine for these units. He also has a new modification, or basket to handle hair algae in these units, pull the slotted pvc and insert baskets, the lids are still a pain to remove, I suggested he attach the ring to the lid and add a handle to the all-threads, and enlarge the units for retention time. Yesterday I repaired my unit and reinstalled the vortex and flow rates are back up.
    Bob

Jumbo
    My pond stays pretty clean Bob. Not much gets into the skimmer basket but i do clean it every other day. I figure what gets through the basket is pretty fine, and will be ground up even finer with the pump. And with 8500 gph through my 4 trays i think it would just get washed through anyway.