Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tank Water Leak Repair

Quote Originally Posted by baddiesel1 View Post
    Thank you again, "Fair Winds & Following Seas" to you and yours.
    You betcha! Same to you!

Tosai
    Just a footnote to add with valuable information: The director of Husbandry at the North Carolina Aquarium, in Emerald Isle returned my call regarding my issues with the through hull fitting (ie bulkhead fitting for land-lovers). Here's his answers:
    1. First and foremost, bronze has copper alloy in it (copper & tin). So, it cannot be used.
    2. Second, my brass hose bib has copper in it (copper & zinc). So, it cannot be used.
    3. I was told the safest sealant to use, is 100% silicone. Like the kind you would use for an aquarium.

Guess you can tell I'm a newbie. I'll remove the media from my bio-filter tank. Catch the 3 fish and place them in it. Shut down the pump, drain the 300 gallon horse trough. Thoroughly dry it, and install a nylon or plastic bulk head/through-hull fitting (after coating the flanges and threads with silicone) and tightened it. Then, using a hair dryer on low heat, I'll speed up the curing process of the silicone. Re-fill with water and check for leaks. Hope I can accomplish all this before my 3 fish get stressed from being couped up in the 100 gal tank. At any rate, copper is a BIG NO-NO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by baddiesel1 View Post
    Just a footnote to add with valuable information: The director of Husbandry at the North Carolina Aquarium, in Emerald Isle returned my call regarding my issues with the through hull fitting (ie bulkhead fitting for land-lovers). Here's his answers:
    1. First and foremost, bronze has copper alloy in it (copper & tin). So, it cannot be used.
    2. Second, my brass hose bib has copper in it (copper & zinc). So, it cannot be used.
    3. I was told the safest sealant to use, is 100% silicone. Like the kind you would use for an aquarium.

Guess you can tell I'm a newbie. I'll remove the media from my bio-filter tank. Catch the 3 fish and place them in it. Shut down the pump, drain the 300 gallon horse trough. Thoroughly dry it, and install a nylon or plastic bulk head/through-hull fitting (after coating the flanges and threads with silicone) and tightened it. Then, using a hair dryer on low heat, I'll speed up the curing process of the silicone. Re-fill with water and check for leaks. Hope I can accomplish all this before my 3 fish get stressed from being couped up in the 100 gal tank. At any rate, copper is a BIG NO-NO!!!

I didn't think about the bronze

Here's some interesting reading from Jim North (the moderator here) on copper and Zinc : http://home.comcast.net/~jnorth71/koi/ Go Down the page to the "Copper and Zinc Kills" link

But don't get to worked up over what you can and can't use.

Use a plastic thru-hull "Marelon" (Spelling?????)

Being your around boats, don't use Silicone. Silicone won't last. I've been preaching Marine sealants on the Koi Forums for years, many, many people use them now, and nobody has ever had a problem that I've heard of. Most "professional" pond builders use urathane sealants in one form or another. A lot of people like the "PL" brand polyurathane sealants available at Lowes, or Depot. They work, but I don't care for them much. They don't have the adhesive qualities that marine sealants do.

Just my 2 cents.............

Here's a bit I wrote on sealants quite a while ago. Most sounds like what I already typed here

One should not use silicone anywhere near a pond. The "aquarium" silicone is formulated for aquariums. Standard silicones available from Lowes or Depot contain talc which absorbs water, which intern makes the sealant brittle, and loses it's bond over time. If you notice in your shower if you have ever used clear silicone, after a few years it starts turning yellow? It still mantains somewhat of a seal, but not that great.

Polyurathane "Marine/Boating" sealants are the best. They are designed for use in sealing underwater protrusions on the bottoms of boats. They stick very well to most things, other than "oily" plastics like rubbermaid stock tanks or the blue 55gal drums. They will seal but if the tank is moved or the plumbing hit they can loose their seal. I hate silicones only because in the many years I have worked on boats once someone applies silicone, it's a pain to have to try to clean the surface from all the silicone residues to get the proper sealant to stick. They can create hell, giving one the false sense that "I used a sealant on everything, but I have leaks?".

Marine polyurathanes are as much of a adhesive as they are a sealant. Some can create bonds that are almost impossible to break. 3M 5200 (available in white at Depot) is one that can create bonds that are virtually impossible to break, the substrate will fail before the sealant. Sikaflex 291 is a good all around sealant, as well as 3M 4200. 3M 4200 dries very fast and usually one can add water within a hour of appling the sealant.

Many people like the PL brand of Polyurathane sealants that Lowes and Depot carries, but I don't care for them. They are far better than silicone, but lack the adhesive qualities I like. Plus is says right on the side "not for use underwater". The PL brand is around $5 a tube for the 10oz caulking gun size, whereas the "Marine/Boating" sealants are in the area of $15-$23 a 10oz tube.

There is another sealant that can be applied underwater, I use it from time to time, and I am the only person I know of on the west coast that will go onto a 60ft yacht by myself and drill a 2" hole in the bottom of the boat while the boat is in the water and install a water pick-up fitting/thru-hull or a depth finder transducer, all the while only my hands get wet. The fitting has to go in from the water side and get a nut tightened up on it from the inside.

I have actually had boat owners leave once they saw the 2" hole shooting up a 3' tall water geiser into their bilge. I have done this at least 100 times and never had one leak, I have been doing them for around 15yrs, and to this day, none of them that I have known of have had to be taken apart and re-sealed. I won't post what kind of sealant it is only because I don't think it's fish safe. It contains sulfides, but what I am getting at is there's far better products other than silicone. Silicone is good for sealing glass and that's about it. The only time I use it is when I need a clear sealant, and that's only when I am working on homes. On boats there is almost never a need for clear.

All marine sealants will continue to cure underwater, as long as they are firm to the touch they are dry enough for water. Most will say "Moisture Cure", that doesn't mean that spraying them with water will speed the drying time. Got in a arguement with a fellow a year or so ago on KP on that subject. The only sealant that will cure faster with water is the one I described in the post above.
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Tosai
    Thanx!!! Yep, it's called "Marelon". Now that I'm back home from D.C.. I've inspected my fittings, and nothing is leaking, I know that it was weeping when I left....... At any rate, I'll be changing that plumbing fiasco today. I've decided to use 3M 4200. I haven't seen the Sikaflex here, but that doesn't mean it's located here in the marine hardware stores. I'll install the bronze through-hull fitting on my boat. I bought another new live-well, so the fitting won't go to waste. Thank you very much for the info. My yellow butterfly koi is getting tame, she's attracted to me. Too bad I can't feed the fish yet. (Too cold)

Y'all "Be Good", and if you "Can't Be Good"--"Be Good At It"!!!

Jumbo
    The Home Depot here in my new town stocks 3M 5200 in white. It was surprising to see it. Also the price was less than the last tube I bought at West Marine (must be the Petco equivalent, eh?).

Quote Originally Posted by mitten View Post
    The Home Depot here in my new town stocks 3M 5200 in white. It was surprising to see it. Also the price was less than the last tube I bought at West Marine (must be the Petco equivalent, eh?).

Hey Mickey,

I have a wholesale acct. at West Marine, and that's even a joke. The price breaks they give for the "professional" are a joke. Most things I might see 1-5% discount West Marine was good until they went "public", now I am just a number..............

Tosai
    And now for my follow-up "Situation Report"....I removed the media out of my 100 gal bio tank filter, and deposited my 3 koi in there. I drained, cleaned, dried and removed the bronze through-hull fitting, bell reducer & brass hose-bib. Next, I installed a 1 inch Marelon through hull, with a "gob" of 3M 5200 "fast cure". It takes overnight for this application to get firm enough to introduce water. At any rate, the mission was a success, however messy. My rescued koi are enduring the "new tank" syndrome, and the temps here lately have risen quite a bit. The fish just lay on the bottom. I followed the salt directions of 1 tbsp of salt per 10 gal of water. Currently, the water temp is 62 degrees F. I was going to try to feed them some Tetra Spring&Fall food, but I don't think they'd be interested right now. I'll check on them in the morning. I've got mesh bad of zeolite ready for the ammonia spike, since my media hasn't had a chance to grow any beneficial bacteria (too cold).

Thanks to Y'all for your help, bd1

"Just as a dog returns to its own vomit, so does a fool to his folly"

Tosai
    Do yourself a favor. Replace the fitting with a uniseal fitting. You can order them through AES. No leaks, cheap, and there are no chemical worries. I have used them in sizes 3/4"- 4" I have never had one fail on me. They are very flexible and you do not have to worry about minor movement in the tanks and they work extremely well on curved services.
    John

Tosai
    John,

Thank you for the info!!! Never heard of them before your post. I won't be changing anything right now, until I construct my "rescue puppie's" new home. I've checked out the web-site, and what a wealth of equipment, including microscopes. Years ago, I was a lab tech, and I am very interested in taking scrapings of my fish, and examining them for parasites. I would bet they're loaded with them due to previous owners' who abandoned them. I don't know much about these pets, but my wife & I do love them very much. Thank you again for the info. So far my Marelon through hull fitting, with 3M 5200 is holding strong. *(knock-on-wood)

Fry
    Water conservation is the best step to save the water and this is very good that our country Australia is moving toward this. And in case if Water tank should be repair if got leak.Superhead Rainwater Filter and First Flush Diverter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast