Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tank Water Leak Repair

Tosai

Tank Water Leak Repair

I'm a "newbie" to this hobby and this website. I setup a 300 gal poly livestock watering tank as a temporary pond. Had to help my son in rescuing abandoned koi left by renters. (long story...) At any rate, I've installed a 1inch bronze "through-hull" (used on boats) fitting at the bottom of the tank with a hand valve as a drain. I cannot get the rubber gaskets to seal properly. I have tightened, twisted, and used teflon tape, but to no-avail my efforts have been fruitless. I would like to use fast setting 3M 5200 sealant on the inside of the tank (full of water & 3 koi), but I'm afraid it might harm the fish. I know this sealant will cure the slight leak, even under water. I just don't know if it would harm the fish. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in-advance!!!

Southern, CA Member of Inland Koi Society & Koi Club of San Diego
    I have used 3M 5200 many times on bait tanks and many other things.
    Its great stuff...
    We constantly run bait tank with full water change every 15 min. and it is new clean ocean water.
    I would only recommend using it on the outside of the temp pond you are talking about (basically a horse trough)

You need to drain and dry the tank very well & give at least 24 hrs to dry before refilling.
    5200 is a pretty bullet proof sealant
    You probably could get away with using inside also (but wouldn't recommend it)

Good Luck

RookieKoiGuy Grow out Form

Tosai
    Thanks for the quick reply. I live in a waterfront community, "boats are a way of life" here. I've heard of a emergency under-water repair of a sailboat. It still took about 48 hours to cure, but it sealed the water leak. The bead from the caulking gun was applied underwater, and it formed a waterproof seal, even underwater. I was concerned about introducing any form of toxicity to the water inside the "horse trough". If this product does not produce toxic fumes/vapors to the fish via water transfer, then I think this application will work without having to drain the tank. I don't have anything else to put the fish in.

Rubbermaid???

Is it a Rubbermaid stock tank???? If it is you really got to tighten the dog snot out of them to get the seal to work.

Tosai
    My bio-filter tank is a Rubbermaid 100 gal setup, and you're absolutely right!!! And yes, I did have a slight leak there also, but I conquered that one. I have a 300 gallon "Freeland" horse trough, made in (I believe Wisconsin). At any rate, the nylon plug with a leather gasket would not seal. Just found out that the FDA does not approve 3M 5200 for any potable water applications, so I guess I've got my answer. I know there's an epoxy manufactured for instant fixes, that is safe for fish. Just don't know the name. I've heard of leak repairs made for giant aquariums, in such that a scuba diver installs it underwater, and it sets-up fast. I am very "anal" about fixing leaks, I can't stand-it.

Tosai
    Is there a product made that is fish-safe, that can be applied underwater (wet enviroment), and will cure this leak?. It's hard to conceive that teflon tape & teflon paste will not work to seal the threads on this bronze through-hull fitting. I even have thick rubber gaskets on both sides of the tank. I thought perhaps using thick rubber "O" rings.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrseed View Post
    Is it a Rubbermaid stock tank???? If it is you really got to tighten the dog snot out of them to get the seal to work.
    "dog snot" is that a technical term?

Quote Originally Posted by smithvillemike View Post
    "dog snot" is that a technical term?
    Yep, its..............messy too...............

Bad,

Glad to see another "boater" in the hobby. I've been working on large boats for over 20 yrs.

I use marine sealants religously around the fish and never had a problem. The only one I won't use is Boatlife's polysulfide.

I've used Sikaflex, 3M, West Marine Brand, etc, etc. Never had a problem.

Polyurathane's won't leach anything into the water. Normally just like on a though hull on a boat as soon as the sealant starts getting firm I'll add water.......... never a problem.

Be careful not to bump your through hull that you installed as nothing really sticks to Rubbermaid stock tanks. Marine sealants will create a seal, but not adhere very well. I have a cockpit drain that I use in one of my Rubbermaid tanks for a bottom drain, and every so often when I bang it from moving the tank around, I'll have to pull it, and re-seal it.

I've never had good luck with 3M products or any urathanes sticking to damp or wet surfaces. Boatlife's polysulfide is the only sealant that I use underwater, and it sticks better underwater than it does dry surfaces. The water makes it cure almost instantly, so you have to be fast. But beacuse it contains sulfides, I've never used it near fish.

I am the only one I know in Nor. Calif. that will install thru-hulls/transducers while the boat is in the water, I've done hundreds of them and never had one leak. My arm is the only thing that gets wet too. But it is my trade secret, and I don't divulge how I do it Most boat owners want to watch till a 3' tall 2" water column starts shooting up in their bilge, then they normally go for a walk

I am very "anal" about fixing leaks, I can't stand-it......... You and me both, being around boats teaches a person alot about keeping water out, as repairing the damage is never fun.
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Tosai
    Woody,

Thank you very much for the info!!! I will try the fast cure 3M 5200. I am mostly concerned with getting the threads to seal. I have nothing else to put the fish in, and I'm afraid of stressing them too much, as they have been through a terrible ordeal. The hole in the horse trough itself is threaded as well. Additionally, I will install "fat" "O" rings. I've already fixed the Rubbermaid 100 gal bio-filter box tank. This problem, is on my 300 gal "Freeland" oblong horse trough. Its made out of the same material as the Rubbermaid, just not as beefy, and it comes with a very cheesey drain plug with a leather gasket. Depending on the advice of a consultant, I hope to construct a much larger "swimming pool" for our "rescue puppies" next fall. Thank you again, "Fair Winds & Following Seas" to you and yours.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast