Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jebao 8000gph pump?

Fry
    yes, that is the pump. the numbers are quite impressive. and yes this is a chinese manu. pump (like most other products). For my purposess I dont need it to be precise to the spec's, but rather must know that it will be reliable and have the ability to turn my pond over at least twice per hour. If I need to bypass some of the flow back to the pond that would be great, .. I'll know that I have enough volume to work with. My waterfalls last year with two pumps running (4450gph) was .. well wimpy. And of course I'm hoping to have better control of the nitrigen cycle too. I was doing weekly 400 gal plus water changes ($$ouch$$) and still couldn't keep my amonia levels down. I only have 2 Koi, some comets and shubunkins. A very light load for the size of my pond. Anyway, I'm going to buy the pump and get started.

Fry
    yes, that is the pump. the numbers are quite impressive. and yes this is a chinese manu. pump (like most other products). For my purposess I dont need it to be precise to the spec's, but rather must know that it will be reliable and have the ability to turn my pond over at least twice per hour. If I need to bypass some of the flow back to the pond that would be great, .. I'll know that I have enough volume to work with. My waterfalls last year with two pumps running (4450gph) was .. well wimpy. And of course I'm hoping to have better control of the nitrigen cycle too. I was doing weekly 400 gal plus water changes ($$ouch$$) and still couldn't keep my amonia levels down. I only have 2 Koi, some comets and shubunkins. A very light load for the size of my pond. Anyway, I'm going to buy the pump and get started.

Jumbo
    600 watts is a lot for 8,000 gal. The Sure Pro SP 8500 flows 8500 gph @ 5 feet head at only 363 watts.

Quote Originally Posted by KirbyK View Post
    KirbyK

Doesn't sound like your turnover is/was the problem. What are the actual number of goldfish and what size are they and the 2 koi? What type of filter media do you currently have on this system? From what you have said above, given your current turnover of better than once per hour, your stocking level and water changes, you should have ZERO AMMONIA AND ZERO NITRITE. Can you give us a bit more specifics- like what are the dimensions of your pond, what fitration you currently have in use, what size containers for these filters, is there a uv light in use and if so, what size? If you are actually flowing 4450gph over your waterfall, that should be a rather impressive volume of water. Do you have any pictures of this setup so we can see what your dealing with so we can properly help with your modifications?

Thanks

Mike

Fry
    Birdman..WoW I did a search to find that Sure Pro SP 8500 pump but couldn't find it. Do you have a link for it? Sounds like an even better deal. And Mike (Koiczar) yes you are right, its not the flow rate totally, but the present flow is no where near the rating of the pumps. There is too much restriction in my present media (nylon netting)(it came with the bio-falls). It used to get plugged up every week to the point that it wouldn't flow at all, but a trickle. It was supposed to have 'the most area' of all media types (sure) and easy backflush (right). I dont remember the manufacture, just that its a vortex type and was very expensive for what it is. Anyway my pond is 3732 gallons, 20 foot wide with a 2 foot ledge dropping off to 5 1/2 feet. I have a 15 foot long spring from the waterfalls to the pond. It has a Firestone EPDM rubber liner. I have a savio skimmer/filter with a 24 watt UV lite (which I've replaced each spring) and I use Microblift PL and the fall/winter treatment. I use a Pondmaster PA-40 air pump (24/7) and I added a auto water feeder last year. I use Declor when doing water changes, and have no salt in the pond. As for the fish, the Kio are both about 13 inches now (had 3 but a Blue Hering got one, now I have two scarecrows) and I have about 20 other fish that are 2 to 4 inches long. Most of these I'm going to catch and sell off this spring (yard sale). I also bought a pond-o-vac 3 to suck out the bottom (very over-rated). So, besides the water fow problem, my filtration was all wrong. Thats why I want to add a K-1 static bed and change the media in the waterfalls to K-3 with a air loop. Do I have a good plan? I'd attach a picture, but that could take me hours just to figure out how.
    Thanks...........Kirby

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyK View Post
    Birdman..WoW I did a search to find that Sure Pro SP 8500 pump but couldn't find it. Do you have a link for it? Sounds like an even better deal. Thanks...........Kirby
    PM me please.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12