Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pond Bottom Drain Help

Tosai
    Does anyone know where i could get a 1" drain online or a drain to make it a 1" its for my tanks and dont want to renew my filter hose etc as there all 1"

Thanks Darren

Why not use a shower drain and just bush it down to 1"

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by wret View Post
    Hmmm... I've got too many fish so I probably shouldn't be conerned about it but I get a dozen or so surviving new fish per year. I give a few away and herons take their toll.

So I guess in order not to grind up the little guys, I would still need to cover the drain with a fine mesh and deal with cleaning it out?
    Sounds like a major hassle, and very small fry might get pinned to the mesh. Instead, why not put a larger piece of mesh in a settlement chamber? Then the current would be more diffuse, and hence less dangerous. Also, the mesh wouldn't clog as fast. You would have to do some fishing before flushing the SC, of course.

Tosai
    Just a question can water travel up hill from a bottom drain as shown in this picture and a guess that the first valve would be for draining etc i have a few ideas that could work for me only if it will travel upwords

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenFelvus View Post
    Just a question can water travel up hill from a bottom drain as shown in this picture and a guess that the first valve would be for draining etc i have a few ideas that could work for me only if it will travel upwords

Yes the water in the filter will fill from the pond through the bottom drain untill the water levels match, then as you pump water from the filter back to the pond water will gravity flow through the bottom drain to the filter.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
    Yes the water in the filter will fill from the pond through the bottom drain untill the water levels match, then as you pump water from the filter back to the pond water will gravity flow through the bottom drain to the filter.
    Thanks for the quick replay moneypit

i wanted to add a 2" drain to my pond run it under my deck to a tee were there will be a valve for draining and taking the water vertical to my filter exact same as the first diagram i posted but have way reduce the 2" to a 1" flexi hose (shown in the black line) to continue to my hozelock ecopower filter that sits higher than the pond as the water comes up and trought the filter just comes out the other end of it (shown with the red line) does anybody think this will work?

Many thanks

Daz

Tategoi
    Water always finds it's own level and that's as high as it will go on it's own. After that it needs help from air lift or pumps. So for your filter to have water it's going to have to be pumped up to it

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Water always finds it's own level and that's as high as it will go on it's own. After that it needs help from air lift or pumps. So for your filter to have water it's going to have to be pumped up to it
    Or lower it so the top is an inch or two above pond level and pump out of the filter, this is the best route because if you pump into the filter your pump will chop everything up making it harder to filter it out.

Does anyone have pictures on the plumbing involved in a bottom drain to an above ground filtration system? I'm interested in installing a bottom drain next summer.

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by KidKoi20 View Post
    Does anyone have pictures on the plumbing involved in a bottom drain to an above ground filtration system? I'm interested in installing a bottom drain next summer.

Hi You can't have above ground filter with bottom drains. You have have to pump up to the filter as I mentioned before and this defeats the purpose of the bottom drain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast