Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TT Media types

Quote Originally Posted by koiczar View Post
    Cindy

I know you've been running showers for a while now. What's your opinion on the lava rock in showers?

Mike
    Mike, actually I have not been running them for long at all yet. I added a shower on my 1300 gallon tank a few weeks ago and it went from pea soup to almost clear. So far, I am pleased! But time will tell. I'd rather use feather rock, but can't find it around here.

Cindy

Sorry, I got screen names mixed up I guess. Anyway, thanks for posting your info. Please keep us updated on the progress.

Anyone else using lava rock that has had their showers up and running for over a year. I'm curious as to what you think of the performance and how clean the lava rock is after that length of time.

Thanks

Mike

We filter fines out before hitting the showers, so I don't know how well Lava Rock would do if used without prefiltration. We bagged ours (Poly produce bags from the grocery store) to make it easier to remove for maintenance, which seems to work OK. It performs ok, but it does have to be messed with every few months to keep the water flowing freely.
    I'm curious to hear the details on the Feather Rock performance from a few others as I do intend to switch to that. I know Marie (Sangreal) is happy with it in hers. I'd also like to hear from Billy about the performance of the cheap Bio Barrells/Ballast he got from EBay. Less money spent on media that gets the job done leaves more for fish
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Larry

Thanks for the feedback. What do you attribute the "messing with it every few months" to?

Marie

How are you using the feather stone in your showers? Did you use it "as is" or did you break it down to smaller pieces?

Mike

The lava rock and lithaqua are both bagged, and every now and again I lift and roll the bags to break loose any dead bacterial mulm that may accumulate. Since the ordinary solids are prefiltered, including a layer of poly batting in the top tray for the finest of the fines, I can only attribute the accumulation to degraded colony build up. The lithaqua bags are relatively tight weave compared to the open weave of the onion sacks I use for the lava rock, so it has to be "fluffed" about once a month. I think it is a pretty minimal price to pay for the performance I get.

Sounds to me like you're happy with it's performance overall. Were you able to shut off your UV lights as most state here and from what I've seen in person?

Mike

UV lights??? What UV lights???
    We don't even have any. Battled green water off and on before getting the showers right, but haven't had any since. My goal has been to nuke the algae at the nutrient source, and I think the bakki has done the trick.

i have a set of shower trays running with bacteria house media....and i added a set with feather rock....i am running about 11,000 gallons per hour over the showers....the feather rock is too new to know how its going to hold up but it looks good so far.......the other thing is the showers act like a doc remover...i float a pipe on top of the water in the header pond that the showers dump into and the surface water stays put and the flow just goes under the pipe and over the waterfall....the drawback to this is i have to scoop foam with a skimmer net to get it out ........works good but isn't as easy as a protein skimmer that has a way for the foam to just exit on its own......some of the water that i pump to the showers comes from a bottom drain and the rest just comes from mid water intakes....the bottom drain water is pre-filtered...goes through an answer, a brush barrell and aerated matts before it gets to the pump

Powerman

Did you modify the size of the feather rock at all? I've seen a couple DIY threads where folks are trying to make it into smaller pieces and one where they're trying to imitate the size/shape to replicate BH media. The similarities of cell structure between the two is amazing. The person also reports that the FS has a little better porosity than the BH. I guess time will tell.

Larry

The UV issue is one that keeps coming up. Most everyone says they were able to turn them off after installing the shower and getting it up and running for a few weeks. Wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit. I can also justify to the DW a smaller monthly utility expense this way!

Mike

What I think some folks miss on the whole Bakki idea is the mythology of it serving as a "stand alone" filtration system, and I'm betting that makes a huge difference in performance results.

Momo runs all BD through settlement chambers before hitting the pumps and showers, which removes the majority of the solid wastes, and there is a continual fresh water exchange going as well to keep the settlement chambers swept clear of mulm.
    I've seen several threads on various forums which imply that the solids are pulverized by the showers and then digested by the microbes, but in realty that only applies to the ultra fines that make it through settlement.
    I do think the solids and old colony decay are consumed by the same bugs the Kaldness biochips
    are designed to house, but that is where the bh and feather rock kick lava rock to the curb. The level of open porosity allows the little buggers in to do their housekeeping duties better than lava rock ever could.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast