Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultima II Opinions?

Sorry, Kent, but:

1. I clean the skimmers, leaf traps and sump every day, too (not just the Ultima), so don't take that as a knock; and

2. I'd recommend adequate sump/vortex/prefiltration ahead of ANY type of mechanical/biological filtration (not just the Ultima), so don't take that as a knock; and

3. I'm a strong believer in multiple types of bio-filtration (not just trying to make up for a perceived lack of effectiveness on the Ultima's part), so don't take that as a knock.

So rather than making your case, I'd prefer to say that they can be an effective component of one's overall filtration system.

But, hey, we can agree to disagree: After all, you're the pondbuilder.
    Don Chandler
    Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

Sansai
    No knock taken, I too clean my skimmers and prefiltration daily. It's the bio that shouldn't be touched that often. The other side is this is just another opportunity for me to spout off about how inefficient pressurized filtration is in general compared to so many other things out there. Like I said not aimed directly at you at all Don.
    The Ultima II is just another ok pressurized system in a long line with nothing more special about it than many others.
    Maybe with the boards being so slow with not much interesting going on I just couldn't help it.

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by kent wallace View Post
    No knock taken, I too clean my skimmers and prefiltration daily. It's the bio that shouldn't be touched that often. The other side is this is just another opportunity for me to spout off about how inefficient pressurized filtration is in general compared to so many other things out there. Like I said not aimed directly at you at all Don.
    The Ultima II is just another ok pressurized system in a long line with nothing more special about it than many others.
    Maybe with the boards being so slow with not much interesting going on I just couldn't help it.
    --------------------------------------
    I have two Ultima IIs because I got them so cheap (20K for $600 & 6K for free), but you're right on about wasted energy. I still use a single pump and bead filter but intend to make an efficient bead filter. Dealers love you guys.

Beads don't have to be inefficient. Most of the back pressure is because of the height of the outlet and that multi function valve on the top. But it doesn't have to be that way; the valve can be done away with and use air to clean during the dump and put it in an open container, in the ground like the Nexus. The Ďbeadsí in the Nexus only drop a couple of inches across them.

The commercial world designed pressurized bead filters for aquatic cultures and they work fine for us as well. But we can improve on them easily.

Iím ok with them being used for waste after settling but the waste will consume a lot of oxygen that should be there for nitrogenation.

Kent, i unfortunatly have to disagree with this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by kent wallace View Post
    The other side is this is just another opportunity for me to spout off about how inefficient pressurized filtration is in general compared to so many other things out there.
    In South Africa where i live the principle mechanical filter of atleast 90% of koi keepers is a presurized swimming pool sand filter. Now i accept that it is different from the Ultima II filter but it is still a pressurized filter. Nothing can touch a sand filter when it comes to mechanical filtration. It needs weekly or daily maintenance depending on your situation thats a given but it needs it because it works so effective. I added a presure guage to my filter, when i see the pressure increase past the norm i know it is time to clean the filter.

Vortexes are very expensive here not to even mention anything made by EA.

I ran my presurrised sand filter on a 10 000L koi pond for 3 years with no problem directly from a one bottom drain - No Settlement area. When i enlarged my pond to a 32 000L pond i decided to keep the sand filter but just to add 2 mechanical vortexes infront of it as a prefilter as the sand filter clogged up to quickly when it was placed on the system by itself. I now use the pressure sand filter as a polishing unit...and i still cant complain about it. The Vortexes have helped to bring the maintenance down on the Sand filter to about once a month but now i have to clean the vortexes once or twice a week...I also place all my biological filtration after the mechanical filtration.

A Sand filter makes your water sparkle and removes the smallest of solids and i am sure that the same is true about a bubblebead filter.

The one thing that i can agree with you about a pressure system is that it does waste energy. For me to use a 3 Bag Sand filter i have to use a swimming pool pump of atleast 0.45kw which only gives me 15000 L /hr where i could have gotton a 36 000L low energy, high flow, low pressure pump for the same amount of energy.

Any mechanical filter that clogs up quickly is a good mechanical filter as it means that is catching all the solids. It is just up to the koi keeper to clean the unit as often as it needs to and you will have no problems.

For those that might have a swimming pool sand filter as a mechanical filter heres an article i wrote that shows how to clean a pressurised sand filter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ultima II Opinions?-pumpsetup.jpg   Ultima II Opinions?-vortex1.jpg   Ultima II Opinions?-vortex2.jpg  

Sansai
    I also love sand filters but not the pressurized type. We build open unpressurized upflow sand and gravel filters that hands down give the best polishing effect and fines filtration available.

Thanks for clearing that up!

I have been working on the pond. For those who don't know, I took the rocks and gravel out and pulled back the liner and have been hand digging a couple hours almost every day smoothing out the shelves.

It is still not a Koi Pond exactly, but the shelves are only a foot wide now and the rest is sloped and there is now a sump at the bottom where I'll put the pump and pump the poop into my pressure filters before going to the trickle tower.

I will run a perimeter hose with holes in it from a 3500 gph pump to facilitate moving debris down to the sump pump.

I ordered a new liner slightly bigger to allow building up the berm and prevent runoff getting into the pond.

I'm still unsure about the filter system, but keep talking! Hearing others' systems and experiences is a big help.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich L View Post
    Bakki is getting lots of good comments but not many posts on the HUGE power drain that comes with them. The smallest pump I've seen on a Bakki is a 3/4HP pump. There are a vast collection of filter systems that work extremely well but will operate on half the power.

A 3/4HP pump will cost $150/month out here. At the same time, take a look at your committment to energy conservetion and how it impacts our nation.
    I'm running a Evolution ES 8500 on my shower. 8500 gph @ 5 feet for only 363 watts. So yes you want max flow for a shower, but it dosn't always have to cost you an arm and a leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich L View Post
    The smallest pump I've seen on a Bakki is a 3/4HP pump.....A 3/4HP pump will cost $150/month out here.
    Ok, can someone please tell me how many watts there are in 1HP?

$150/month....if you dont mind me saying...that sounds very expensive. I run my whole house and pond on $170 and i am viewed as a high usage user.

MCA
    I run two bakki showers and a waterfall box in parallel on one Wave II 1/2HP. Vertical lift to the top of each shower is 6' from the pump in the filter pit and pulling less than 5amps.

I can't find the bakki shower thread where they are talking about the crates and where they get them.

Been looking at the Nexus filters too.

Also, found Advanced Bead Filters:
    A high pressure pump is not required to clean the filter due to its unique backwashing jets.

Your opinions are appreciated. Very helpful posts and thank you so much.

Trying to make an informed decision on which way to go here. I do not have unlimited funds either.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast