Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultima II Opinions?

Sansai
    The Nexus "speed limit" is largely a function of it's center prefilter size and not the moving bed portion itself. Comparing a pressurized filter to any open upflow type filter is not really possible because the total system is designed around the types of filters used. These are completely different concepts.

Sansai
    Any open filter has the possibility of overflowing at some point if not designed properly but as Mike already stated simple overflow devices cancel that possibility out.

Would you say the flow is less restricted then in the Nexus than in the Ultima II?

MCA
    this is a bit of apples and oranges

The nexus was designed to be gravity fed with a max flow rate of ~3500USgph. You can find all those details on the EA home page (www.ea.com). Yes the Nexus can be pump fed...but not an ideal situation at all. I only need a 1/8HP Wave to return the ~3000gph to pond via a TPR.

the flow through a bead filter results from:
    • the back pressure created by a clean bead pack
    • the mulm piling up inside and creating more resistance
    • the resistance of the valve (2" or 1.5"), pipe, and fittings used inside the filter
    • the resistance of the pipes and fittings after the filter (pump sees that resistance also)
    • charactoristics of the pump used...low head or high head, 1/4HP, 1/2HP, 3/4HP...etc. (potential energy hog if the resistance is high...and so is the flow rate)
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

I use DIY bakki showers with Bakki House media (media a little costly) and tie this to my bottom drains. Lots of bio to feed by media and the sky is the limit on pumping, which helps to clean the pond bottom. An assortment of filtration is ideal if your pond is large enough and walet can support it. I like the skimmer for removing larger debree, mechanical filtratration and if I had mid level pickups I would use bead/ glass pressure filters or gravity to nexus with a bio screen. An do not forget treating your tap water as an option, not necessary right away.
    Bob

Tategoi
    I have Optimas because they were cheap. I don't even hope to find someone selling a nexus cheap.

Go with the nexus. I wasn't impressed with it until I installed a couple.

Install it as mentioned if you can. If not' do it above with the hope of burying it later. Get the smallest with the easy media in the center.

Get a neighbor to clean the prefilter every other day. It's a simple routine and you have someone looking at them every day and you can reward them by letting them feed the koi.

After much deliberation, I purchased the Ultima II 4000 and price was a consideration, especially since we plan to move next year when I will build a real Koi pond.

I almost bought the Russell Water Gardens HydroVortex and still like that as well for the solids.

So, I'll use the Ultima from a pump on the bottom then to the TT--less than ideal but better than what I have now.

I'll move the two pressure filters to go after the skimmer and see what happens with that. I already have them, so might as well put them to use. Maybe they won't get so dirty after the skimmer.

I like the Russell Water Gardens sight. I called them and they pointed me to the page where you can calculate how many fish you can have.

That led me to the sites where I bought my various media to determine their SSAs where I discovered the Ultra Bio Media I bought has an SSA four times that of the bioballs!

Anybody use that ultra bio media? I attached a picture.

400 square feet of surface area per cubic foot compared to 100 for the bioballs.

Thank you all so much for your help and feedback to this newbie Koi ponder wanna be.

The Nexus is on my new pond at the new house list.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ultima II Opinions?-ultrabiomedia.jpg  

Peppy

I agree with a lot that has been said here. It's a lot to take in and comprehend, especially without seeing the various systems in play first hand. I complement you on at least making a decision to improve your current system with what you feel is the best for the moment. At least now, while you're waiting to move, you have plenty of time to study and make informed decisions about how to CORRECTLY build your next pond at your new home.

Good Luck and have a great journey within this hobby.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    Anybody use that ultra bio media? I attached a picture.

400 square feet of surface area per cubic foot compared to 100 for the bioballs.

The Nexus is on my new pond at the new house list.
    That looks like a type of EA K1 ripp off.

1. Have you seen this media in action?
    2. How are you planning to use it?

I bought 40L of a EA K1 ripp off product last year. (Not the same as what you are showing) - ran ir for about 3 months before the plastic started to go brittle and break, had to replace it in the end and then it cost me more than what EA K1 would have in the first place....So be carefull with these K1 look a like products. You need to know what type of pastic its made of and actually check if its is possitivle buoyant. Will the media try to resurface by itself or is it going to sink and stay under.

You know, Koiczar, I think actually seeing the Ultima II and its results did play a part in my decision. Maybe if I'd seen a Nexus, I might have gone that way though spending that kind of money on something I'm leaving behind is a huge deterrent.

I am trying to find a Koi or pond club in my area. I have two emails in to club officers I found on the Internet for my general area but haven't got a response yet. There were no phone numbers for them. I don't want to drive for hours to meetings. Even a water garden club would be nice.

I'm also getting rid of some Koi and keeping a few of the best after doing the calculations on the Russell Water Gardens website. According to my calculations, I might be able to put a Koi in my pond!!!

Just kidding. But I did come away with the principal of SSA of media to Koi pounds so I'm increasing my TT media.

WayneB the Ultra Bio media is sinking media. I bought it for my biofalls. It's very light and I had to put bird netting around it and still now and then some came out and fell into the pond. So far, none have broken but I've had it less than a year.

When I put the pond back together, I'm making a screen for over the biofalls and putting air under the media.

I think I'll put air in the skimmer so it goes into the pressure filters.

I was thinking of putting the Ultra Bio media in my TT. Do people use the K1 in their TTs?

Someone suggested removing the pads from the pressure filters and filling them with media. I guess going after the skimmer, the skimmer will be removing the large debris so I'm thinking of doing that too.

Thanks to everyone for their support, experiences and suggestions.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast