Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Ultima II Opinions?

Sansai
    That's probably also the size of the biggest fish they ever caught!

The other little tid bit of misinformation that seems to be running aroung a lot lately is "don't worry, fish only grow to the size of their habitat. They'll stay small in your pond."

Kent, I can't believe you said that! This guy with the 4 year old 10" Koi[s] said to me: "Well, they only get as big as their environment anyway." and still ringing in my ears: I like them just they way they are [holding his hands ten inches apart].

Every day, as I'm hand digging in the heat, what keeps me going is picturing how much happier my Koi and all my other fish too are going to be in their bigger, deeper, better filtered home.

And I'm also thankful for stumbling onto the forums where I was highly skeptical at first of all this talk about depth and SSA and everything.

Something else I was thinking while digging, where my thoughts tend to gravitate to anything fish, is if there were no shallow, R&G, skimmer and falls ponds, which are also the cheapest ponds, and everyone who wanted Koi was willing to spend the money to house them properly, those people willing to spend that kind of money are not going to be happy with Walmart Koi. So what would happen to all the culls and how would that affect the Koi farms? I mean, they make money from those Koi, don't they?

I'm not condoning R&G, shallow, under-filtered ponds for Koi. I'm just wondering.

MCA
    Peppy,

Unfortunately there will always be those that are happy (through ignorance or greed) to call a ditch with a weed and two fish.....a koi pond.

When ignorance is bliss...tis folly to be wise.

"call a ditch with a weed and two fish.....a koi pond."

TOO FUNNY!!!

Sansai
    The other one I love is "it's a really big pond, about 300 gallons".

Big belly laugh on that one!!

Sadly, I too thought I had a big pond at 300 gallons! Since I hand dug that one, it sure seemed big at the time.

Now my quarantine tank is 300 gallons. Bet you all have bigger ones than that.

Another guy I know is so proud of his new 190 gallon pond that replaced his 90 gallon. He has two Koi and a bunch of goldfish and Shubunkins. He just put gravel in the bottom because the guy who sold him the pond told him to.

I did tell him why I took my gravel out and that if he starts having problems, he might want to consider that too.

But you have to be careful not to alienate people plus they look at you like you're crazy because everybody they know has a pond just like theirs and, of course, they were all professionally installed and they all have Koi.

I mention the koi forums to everyone who has a pond hoping they'll check them out.

So if new posters start showing up and you all have to do your convincing all over again, guess you'll have to blame me.

MCA
    Tell them to at least Koi for Dummies for starters...and then get back to you.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678