Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Above ground pond

Fry

Above ground pond

First off, this site contains an incredible amount of knowledge, and want to thank everyone for what they contribute.

I'm thinking about upgrading our current water garden with small koi into a real koi pond. But, I've got a lot of unique challenges that may cause me to scrap the idea. 1) The pond will be on a concrete terrace, thus everything must be constucted from the bottom up. Thus, posing potential problems with the bottom drain. 2) I live in Chicago, cold weather a definate factor. 3) Max depth would be 3 feet. I know opinions vary, but that seems to be the limit on a koi pond.

Found a site that might give me a template to work with. Any opinions on this consruction would be appreciated.

Koi pond construction

I've got this fall and winter here in Chicago to research my plans on this potential pond. If I give it the green light, I'd love to keep everyone updated with a photo journal here in the forum next spring. Otherwise.... Helllloo goldfish!

MCA
    I think the Welsh club site has one of the best tutorials on koi pond construciton: A Guide to Modern Koi Pond Construction.

Given the limited depth and your winters....I think it would be best to stick with goldies in that pond. Who knows, there may be other ponds in your future!!!

Fry
    Given the limited depth and your winters....I think it would be best to stick with goldies in that pond. Who knows, there may be other ponds in your future!!![/quote]

Freezing is a concern, but our situation is unique. The pond is directly over a heated parking garage. We had our current water garden up and running last year. It's about 450 gallons. We had one drop in electric heater and it never froze over. The small koi all made it over the winter.

We'd consider adding a built in heater as well.

edit: Thanks for the link!