Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Skimmer Screw-up

MCA
    ...if it lives up to it's promises.
    I think Momotaro's pond systems have already proved for years that showers CAN work. As to them working on a specific pond would have to do with that pond's systems design, mainteance, stocking levels, feeding levels, water parameters and many other variables.

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    I think Momotaro's pond systems have already proved for years that showers CAN work. As to them working on a specific pond would have to do with that pond's systems design, mainteance, stocking levels, feeding levels, water parameters and many other variables.
    When you talk about showers are you talking about Bakki showers?

MCA
    I doubt the media matters that much....bakki house, lava rock, feather stone...etc. Just lots of surface area and lots of flow.

For example on latest issue KoiFixx is a small DIY shower/TT Brady did with plastic pepsi bottle holders (the store was discarding) and lava rock. Hard to get greener than than.

Sansai
    Rich and Mike, This is a good time to bring up a pet pieve of mine. The term "Bakki Shower" is one of the most misused terms floating around today.
    "Bakki" is a the name of a specific shower filter manufactured under the Bakki Shower name. Any other shower filter not directly purchased from Momaroto is not a "Bakki Shower" but simply a shower filter. This is very much like calling all soft drinks a Coke or all copies a Xerox.
    I wish people on these boards would quit calling every home made or purchased, for that matter, a Bakki Shower when it is not.
    You can't build your own Bakki Shower any more than you can make your own Chevrolet.!!!
    I feel much better now.

MCA
    glad you are better now....

In the South we do call all soft drinks...cokes. And any photocopy is a xerox and all tissues are kleenex. So while Bakki House shower indeed points to Momotaro's BH media in stainless trays......showers using most any porus media...like it or not...get referred to as bakki showers.

When you are the dominant brand...or set the bar for others....expect that your brand name will be commonly (and perhaps illegally) used for the genre.....even if kills the folks in marketing and legal departments.

Sansai
    It can still irritate me though, can't it?

Tategoi
    See what I mean about guys from the South. They talk funny too, Kent

That's the reason I asked. But you were referring to 'shower' and that increases the posibilities. Because of it's 'specific' media, a Bakki is supposed to clean the pond of all but non organic materials. When I first saw it I looked forward to see what the DIY crowd would come up with. Almost everything that comes out has a following devoted to bypassing the source and that has resulted some great inovations. I remember MCA's drum filters.

What is happening with the 'Far infrared radiation' recently. I'd really like to figure that out so I could come up with self toasting bread.

Pulled from the Mcnally site:
    Cavitation means that cavities or bubbles are forming in the liquid that we're pumping. These cavities form at the low pressure or suction side of the pump, causing several things to happen all at once:
    • The cavities or bubbles will collapse when they pass into the higher regions of pressure, causing noise, vibration, and damage to many of the components.
    • We experience a loss in capacity.
    • The pump can no longer build the same head (pressure)
    • The pump's efficiency drops.
    The cavities form for five basic reasons and it's common practice to lump all of them into the general classification of cavitation. This is an error because we'll learn that to correct each of these conditions; we must understand why they occur and how to fix them. Here they are in no particular order:
    • Vaporization
    • Air ingestion (Not really cavitation, but has similar symptoms)
    • Internal recirculation
    • Flow turbulence
    • The Vane Passing Syndrome
    Iím not familiar with the biofalls products but donít lean toward pressurized components if something else is available, mostly because the water must be fully oxygenated before entering the component.

ďI have been trying to improve this dang pond ever since they installed it!Ē

Thatís good to see. These boards are where lots of us collect and you will have access to more experienced people than in the average club. People like Kent & MCA keep me coming back to the various boards. Looking for a way to improve our ponds is an obsession here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123