Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Heated Winter Tank

Heated Winter Tank

Ok, Im planning on moving my koi in for the winter again. But instead of in the house, I'd like to keep them in the garage.

At the show I bought an 8' show tank to use for this purpose.

The tank has an 1-1/2 bulkhead on it.

I've got a couple problems. I'm not real keen on cutting in a bottom drain, because I'm worried about the strength of the fabric once cut. But I don't think I can get enough gravity flow through an 1-1/2 fitting... I'm not real keen on hooking a pump up first and grinding up all the solids... Has anyone tried either putting in a bottom drain, or pulling with a pump and trying to trap the now ground up solids?

I have a few more issues, but I'll tackle this one first.

Thanks,

Grant

MCA
    If the garage is reasonably well insulated....use a shower filter with 4 trays. You do not have to do a prefilter...especially with this being for the winter months. Then move the shower to new big deep pond in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    If the garage is reasonably well insulated....use a shower filter with 4 trays. You do not have to do a prefilter...especially with this being for the winter months. Then move the shower to new big deep pond in the spring.
    It's insulated Mike, but not heated. My intention was to keep the water warm enough to feed through the winter. I won't continue this practice forever, but all of my koi were bought as tosia this year and I wouldn't mind growing them over the winter.

I do like the shower idea, and I intend on adding one to my skimmer circuit next spring, but the BH seems awfully expensive and I may be at my budget for koi this year.... Is there anything else that's cheaper that would still provide some benefit? I realize not work as well.... but still good?

Also, no matter what configuration I do, I intend on moving my filters inside as well so that in the spring my bacteria is 100% up and running.... I designed my outside pond for easy disconnect for just this purpose.

Thanks,

Grant