Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: new pond question

Tosai

new pond question

hellow every one... just want to ask something...
    does a koi pond really need skimmers? and is it to late to place one in my already operational pond? thanks..

Skimmers aid in keeping floating debris off from a pond. Keeping it from becoming sinking debris......
    With out knowing your design, it would be inappropriate to answer your second question........................

MCA
    Most watergardens have skimmers and no BDs. So based on that reference, one could argue they are even more important than a BD. Myabe that is in part becauset you can move more water via a skimmer. Most folks do ~3500gph via a BD. With a 16" wide skimmer you can do at least 7500gph.

The more your pond location gets polution from overhead (leaves, needles, nuts, seeds, twigs....etc.) the greater the need for a skimmer and a serious current pulling debris into it.

A existing pond can be retroed with a skimmer. If your pond is liner over dirt, that could well mean moving the fish and emptying the pond to excavate the skimmer location and pipe trench (3") to the filter pit. So much depends on your particular pond situation. You also need to plant what to do with the pump output....a bakki shower with winter bypass would be nice.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

My answer would be yes! I didn't have one before and spent a lot of time netting leaf fall as some do get through nets despite things and fir needles are pita.. The skimmer will catch that stuff and is less time to clean up then all that netting out daily ever was, not to mention the vaccing that needed done to get what sinks.

You will be glad you did in the end run, I am!

Tosai
    my pond is made up of cement.. i guess i really have to make a hole in the cement to install skimmers.. sorry for the many questions.. but this would really help me a lot as im just starting.. so.. I also need another pump to circulate the water from the skimmers to my filtration system?

thanks

MCA
    yes from skimmer to combo of filters and pump for return to pond. The question is why type of filter. I would suggest a shower with winter bypass.

Jumbo
    It's always easy to think of skimmers removing floating matter such as leaves, but what's actually more important is the dissolved organic compounds (DOCs) that skimmers remove. With out a skimmer a layer or film of oily like matter, or scum, DOCs will form on the surface, over time, sealing off the pond and suffocating it. Just like putting a layer of visqueen on it.

Nisai
    Yes,
    Pond skimmers are a good thing to have on your pond. Even if you don't have trees on your property - somewhere in the neighborhood someone does. Also, dust, pollen and other wind blown debris immediately stops blowing around when it hits your pond. Water catches all sorts of debris. Pond skimmers, of any type or brand - use the suction power of water ever pump you have to pull debris out of the pond into a device for easy removal.

As far as adapting to concrete - some brands of pond skimmers have adaptors. You can also install a swimming pool type. When installing a skimmer, the water only needs to be lowered 6" or so below the lowest section of the pond skimmer. You don't have to drain the pond more than that.

There are many brands of pond skimmers out there. As a commercial sponsor of this board, I encourage you to take a look at our skimmer before you make a purchase - compare before you buy. Our HydroClean skimmer will attach to your concrete pond with either 4" pipe or 6" pipe depending on the flow rate of your pump. Therefore the area you'll need to cut out of your concrete will be much smaller than with other brands. See it here: http://www.russellwatergardens.com/F...cleanpiper.php

Thanks so much, and good luck with your project.
    Sincerely,
    John Russell
    www.russellwatergardens.com